another tank bites the dust

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks, one being a 32 biocube. This tank just turned 2 in May, and all was well. I ended up having a minor issue with my 300 and in turn, ignored my 32. This weekend, I decided to get it back into shape. Not thinking....so lets start there. all the parameters were low, and I wanted to add back a rock that was over taken by GSP and had been in my garage drying out for about 9 months. I took that rock and blasted it clean, rinsed it and set it out in the 90 degree sun for a day. big mistake. I also took the water from my 300 and added 1/2 of that and 1/2 new fresh water.
KILLED EVERYTHING. even bristle worms. stupid. stupid mistake, and not thinking. I can't even believe that I didn't think this through.

moving forward. before I put the big rock back in, I took some of the other rock, and placed it in my sump of the other tank. there were a few pieces I left in it as well, but mostly it was that big peice that I wanted back in there.
now with it being only the few original rocks (the big one is back outside in a bucket again drying out until I get this figured out) and all the water still in it, heater going etc....I am not sure how to move forward. what I am "thinking" is to drain it out, put the wet rocks in a bucket of fresh water, ditch the sand, and start completely over. I will use the rock that is safe and was put into my sump, and my 300 could spare a few as well. I do have ceramic rings that are in the sump as well, and could be put into the 32. sand is cheap, I'll replace and power clean that first.
so this will likely start a new cycle if I am correct? I have microbacter7, that I can add as well. I am in NO HURRY...
if anyone could help me figure this out, I'd really appreciate the help. @brandon429 I have looked at your stuff in the past, so I may need to re read all that. Just not sure about a rip clean with the sand, as all CUC including bristles died.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 tanks, one being a 32 biocube. This tank just turned 2 in May, and all was well. I ended up having a minor issue with my 300 and in turn, ignored my 32. This weekend, I decided to get it back into shape. Not thinking....so lets start there. all the parameters were low, and I wanted to add back a rock that was over taken by GSP and had been in my garage drying out for about 9 months. I took that rock and blasted it clean, rinsed it and set it out in the 90 degree sun for a day. big mistake. I also took the water from my 300 and added 1/2 of that and 1/2 new fresh water.
KILLED EVERYTHING. even bristle worms. stupid. stupid mistake, and not thinking. I can't even believe that I didn't think this through.

moving forward. before I put the big rock back in, I took some of the other rock, and placed it in my sump of the other tank. there were a few pieces I left in it as well, but mostly it was that big peice that I wanted back in there.
now with it being only the few original rocks (the big one is back outside in a bucket again drying out until I get this figured out) and all the water still in it, heater going etc....I am not sure how to move forward. what I am "thinking" is to drain it out, put the wet rocks in a bucket of fresh water, ditch the sand, and start completely over. I will use the rock that is safe and was put into my sump, and my 300 could spare a few as well. I do have ceramic rings that are in the sump as well, and could be put into the 32. sand is cheap, I'll replace and power clean that first.
so this will likely start a new cycle if I am correct? I have microbacter7, that I can add as well. I am in NO HURRY...
if anyone could help me figure this out, I'd really appreciate the help. @brandon429 I have looked at your stuff in the past, so I may need to re read all that. Just not sure about a rip clean with the sand, as all CUC including bristles died.
I think I’m understanding. You had an ammonia spike from the die off on the rock you put back in your tank. This killed everything when added back. If your sand is old and dirty because you don’t clean it sure order some new stuff. If it’s fine just reuse and re cycle your tank again. I personally test ammonia to see when that is converted to zero when cycling. Reuse whatever you want (rock,sand? Anything ) but make sure it goes through cycle. That’s another topic I’m assuming you understand that. It’s possible you killed everything including a lot of good bacteria so I would add some microbactor 7 based on dosing instructions on bottle. I use dr Tim’s one and only. You are safe when your cycle is done to restock. Nothing you can do will really hurt anything more at this point. It’s a tough hobby I’m sorry for the losses.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m understanding. You had an ammonia spike from the die off on the rock you put back in your tank. This killed everything when added back. If your sand is old and dirty because you don’t clean it sure order some new stuff. If it’s fine just reuse and re cycle your tank again. I personally test ammonia to see when that is converted to zero when cycling. Reuse whatever you want (rock,sand? Anything ) but make sure it goes through cycle. That’s another topic I’m assuming you understand that. It’s possible you killed everything including a lot of good bacteria so I would add some microbactor 7 based on dosing instructions on bottle. I use dr Tim’s one and only. You are safe when your cycle is done to restock. Nothing you can do will really hurt anything more at this point. It’s a tough hobby I’m sorry for the losses.
yes, I thought however, that I had the rock clean. apparently not as clean as I thought. I was just worried that it would still be in the sand, and the rocks...(original rocks) so I'd have to re clean those. ? I may try that Dr. Tims, typically I would use Turbo start...but I'm really 2nd guessing myself, for obvious reasons. It's been a bit since I had to cycle a tank, and I would rather do it right. so, with that said, I think I'll wash off the original rocks, and new sand, then just add more vs trying that big one again.
Thanks so much.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes, I thought however, that I had the rock clean. apparently not as clean as I thought. I was just worried that it would still be in the sand, and the rocks...(original rocks) so I'd have to re clean those. ? I may try that Dr. Tims, typically I would use Turbo start...but I'm really 2nd guessing myself, for obvious reasons. It's been a bit since I had to cycle a tank, and I would rather do it right. so, with that said, I think I'll wash off the original rocks, and new sand, then just add more vs trying that big one again.
Thanks so much.
The only thing that would still be left over bad that can kill stuff so I’m even small amounts is ammonia. Since you have nothing alive it won’t matter if there’s ammonia. You could even put that rock that killed everything back in but it will make cycle a lot longer because the ammonia will still be there. The bucket it’s back in is probably super high in ammonia. Even if you blow off all matter that’s visible to the naked eye it can be invisible in the rocks. So golden rule whenever you are adding new stuff to a tank like rock it either needs to be new unused rock, bleached rock that killed everything but has no bleach left, or rock that has been cured which means it has already been cycled.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are taking rock and biological material from an established system you really shouldnt have a cycle. Can you add bottle bacteria? sure it wouldnt hurt. As for cycle, you would be cycled.
that's what I figured...It's just that I am beyond anxious now.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are taking rock and biological material from an established system you really shouldnt have a cycle. Can you add bottle bacteria? sure it wouldnt hurt. As for cycle, you would be cycled.
I agree he can just take rock from his 300 gallon established tank and add it to his small tank that he killed everything. He wouldn’t need bacteria in a bottle. But I think re cycling his small tank that he killed will be good learning and help prevent this again down the road. If he understood the cycle process I think this may have been prevented. What better way to understand and grow then redo the cycle :)

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that would still be left over bad that can kill stuff so I’m even small amounts is ammonia. Since you have nothing alive it won’t matter if there’s ammonia. You could even put that rock that killed everything back in but it will make cycle a lot longer because the ammonia will still be there. The bucket it’s back in is probably super high in ammonia. Even if you blow off all matter that’s visible to the naked eye it can be invisible in the rocks. So golden rule whenever you are adding new stuff to a tank like rock it either needs to be new unused rock, bleached rock that killed everything but has no bleach left, or rock that has been cured which means it has already been cycled.
there's no water in that bucket at all. the rock itself, doesn't even really fit, more just sitting in/on it. could I pressure wash it again, then get it in a tub of bleach water, rinse it a few times, and then sun dry it a week, and it be good? I should look this up... I am not in a huge hurry, as all the other stuff that did manage to survive are doing fine in my big tank.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you buying proper test kits for cycling, redoing the cycle with an ammonia source, taking a step back and relearning and deeply understanding the cycle process will prevent stuff like this from happening. No rush process.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree he can just take rock from his 300 gallon established tank and add it to his small tank that he killed everything. He wouldn’t need bacteria in a bottle. But I think re cycling his small tank that he killed will be good learning and help prevent this again down the road. If he understood the cycle process I think this may have been prevented. What better way to understand and grow then redo the cycle :)
I haven't cycled in a while. last one was my 300, and it had a LOT of rock from my previous tank. so I knew there, I'd be ok. also used a lot of the original water.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only question I have is was it ammonia from that big rock or did something else get in to that rock. It may well have been ammonia but in a day? doubtful. It would take some time for the dry dead things on that rock to create ammonia.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
there's no water in that bucket at all. the rock itself, doesn't even really fit, more just sitting in/on it. could I pressure wash it again, then get it in a tub of bleach water, rinse it a few times, and then sun dry it a week, and it be good? I should look this up... I am not in a huge hurry, as all the other stuff that did manage to survive are doing fine in my big tank.
I’ll answer the bleach thing but I think you should stay away from bleaching rocks for now lol. When you bleach a rock you prevent what happened to you. But you need to let it dry to gas off any bleach for a week. Personally I waited a lot longer but I’m paranoid as I have thousands invested. Then I rinsed it in a dechlorinater. Then I filled it water and let it sit again and tested the water for any chlorine with test strips.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only question I have is was it ammonia from that big rock or did something else get in to that rock. It may well have been ammonia but in a day? doubtful. It would take some time for the dry dead things on that rock to create ammonia.
There’s nothing else that scientifically makes sense was on that rock except ammonia from the dead matter. You would be amazed how fast very small amounts of ammonia creep up and kill. Unless I’m missing a part to the story like some chemical was sprayed by the rock or something. I had live sand that I let die in a bag. I rinsed it for like 20 mins and added it to my qt tank. By the next day my fish was acting weird I knew I had to be on the look out for ammonia but didn’t think it was that fast. The color of my test kit was higher then I could read.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I am wondering also. My husbands garage so.... possible. I may just make the rock a garden ornament...and let it go.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't cycled in a while. last one was my 300, and it had a LOT of rock from my previous tank. so I knew there, I'd be ok. also used a lot of the original water.
It sounds like you do understand the cycle so maybe you are good there. Just a miss understanding how fast ammonia can creep up. Whatever was on that rock either a chemical from spraying or something like that it was very high levels of ammonia. You killed bristle worms they are hardy jerks.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing else that scientifically makes sense was on that rock except ammonia from the dead matter. You would be amazed how fast very small amounts of ammonia creep up and kill. Unless I’m missing a part to the story like some chemical was sprayed by the rock or something. I had live sand that I let die in a bag. I rinsed it for like 20 mins and added it to my qt tank. By the next day my fish was acting weird I knew I had to be on the look out for ammonia but didn’t think it was that fast. The color of my test kit was higher then I could read.
yeah I honestly am not sure. I thought I got it all, and as you said, it was FAST. even the bristle worms died! I just feel sick about this. 2 years, upgraded everything on this little tank, and then did that to it :confounded-face:

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that's what I am wondering also. My husbands garage so.... possible. I may just make the rock a garden ornament...and let it go.
Yea now talking I would not reuse that rock. I would soak it back in water and test the ammonia on it. Also test the ammonia in your small tank now. If your small tank is showing zero ammonia which it should then I would think it’s a chemical on the rock. If your small tank has no ammonia now I would completely buy new everything and assume something like a chemical killed it.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you do understand the cycle so maybe you are good there. Just a miss understanding how fast ammonia can creep up. Whatever was on that rock either a chemical from spraying or something like that it was very high levels of ammonia. You killed bristle worms they are hardy jerks.
exactly. so not knowing if he sprayed anything, this is where I'm a bit worried. I mean, I can try again but, if there's something now in the water, and coating my tank... I think I'll totally take it apart, clean it...new sand and then add the rocks from the sump, then 1/2 new and 1/2 from my 300. then I'll just let it sit a week, and then test. sound right? at least it's not rushing and I can just observe

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah I honestly am not sure. I thought I got it all, and as you said, it was FAST. even the bristle worms died! I just feel sick about this. 2 years, upgraded everything on this little tank, and then did that to it :confounded-face:
I’m sorry I made a mistake very early on too. Like my first 6 months it killed everything. 4 years in now and I’m fully acropora. I would highly recommend testing your small tank for ammonia. As hard as it is now to feel if you can get a cause of death you can better prevent it!

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
exactly. so not knowing if he sprayed anything, this is where I'm a bit worried. I mean, I can try again but, if there's something now in the water, and coating my tank... I think I'll totally take it apart, clean it...new sand and then add the rocks from the sump, then 1/2 new and 1/2 from my 300. then I'll just let it sit a week, and then test. sound right? at least it's not rushing and I can just observe
If you can’t pinpoint ammonia I would use nothing from the tank that lost everything. I’m a little confused when you say rocks from sump. If it’s the sump of the tank that died no. If it’s from the 300 then yes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back