Another Tank Jerk - Scalloped Corner of Tank, Keep it? Chuck it?

Should I keep this tank? or chuck it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While setting up my 40g breeder frag tank I scalloped the corner.

Of course, this after drilling and adding the overflow.

Should I keep it? or just chuck it and start over?

A little hard to get a good clear pick.

20200120_110217.jpg 20200120_110221.jpg 20200120_110000.jpg 20200120_110228.jpg

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it in the back or front? If it's in the back I'd be tempted to grab a couple strips of glass and run them vertically and silicone them around the corner to gusset it and prevent an propagation of the crack. I did that with a 125 and it's going on a year with no problems.

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your pictures especially picture 4 it seems to still have unresolved cracks. I would not keep it unless there is no cracks but a little chip only would be ok for me. You should be able to find out if there is cracks with like a marker or crayon at the edges and see if they start to fill in cracks.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Thanks for everyone's response. It's in the front. Ran over it with a marker and it seems as if the scallop continues maybe an inch past the main point of impact/chip. I am not sure if they are resolved but I'm thinking for $60 I might want to be safe rather than sorry. It isn't set up yet, so to replace it is just the cost of the tank and silicone. Of course, it's a PTA and I was hoping to finish the set up this weekend but it's still much cheaper than cleaning up 40g of salt water.

Njbjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Thanks for everyone's response. It's in the front. Ran over it with a marker and it seems as if the scallop continues maybe an inch past the main point of impact/chip. I am not sure if they are resolved but I'm thinking for $60 I might want to be safe rather than sorry. It isn't set up yet, so to replace it is just the cost of the tank and silicone. Of course, it's a PTA and I was hoping to finish the set up this weekend but it's still much cheaper than cleaning up 40g of salt water.
This seems like a sound advice. It’s just those cracks make it too unpredictable. Your doing what I would do. Especially for a small tank like that.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chips/scallops are usually ok, but not always. I’ve run plenty of tanks with that kind of damage (yes, I am a clutz). It is a risk though. If there are any tiny cracks (which you cannot see from the pictures) they can run along the panel and then the tank will fail. Getting a replacement is probably the most prudent path.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back