Another too much flow question

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 60 gal display tank (30inch length) with a 10" glass thickness. I am currently using a Vectra S2 and one MP40, which is rated for 50gal - 500gal. When I introduced my pair of clownfish they seemed to be carried away by the MP40, which at that time I had the reef crest mode at 40% intensity. They are swimming only at the front of the glass, so it just might be the place where they like to swim at the moment, but I am also wondered if it could be too much flow for them from the MP40. I have dialed down the intensity to 20%, but wanted to see what you think the intensity should be from the MP40 for this tank?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you shouldn't adjust the flow for any fish, they will find their own spot thats comfortable for them. Especially clownfish, they will find their comfy spot and then rarely move.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I don't have MP40's or that kind of tank (but this will bump the thread for you) Good Luck

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing I have a 55 gallon display I bought 2 mp40s and I can only run one of them at 10-20percent or I get a sandstorm(my sand is NOT fine grade…. )Also with one mp40 on at 20 percent there is very little areas with low flow… I’m thinking I need 2 mp10s. As the mp40s are so powerful. My clowns did the same thing but they sleep near the MP now and they don’t get sucked in or anything.

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Supa, since my tank have a 10“ glass thickness I preferred to avoid the MP10, as their max thickness is to 9.5“ but did know I might have to dial down the intensity quite a bit as will overpower my tank. I dont mind running the MP40 at 10-20%, but I dont also want to have low flow in the tank, so thats why I wanted to ask around here if someone has some advise on that end.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Supa, since my tank have a 10“ glass thickness I preferred to avoid the MP10, as their max thickness is to 9.5“ but did know I might have to dial down the intensity quite a bit as will overpower my tank. I dont mind running the MP40 at 10-20%, but I dont also want to have low flow in the tank, so thats why I wanted to ask around here if someone has some advise on that end.
Thanks man, and yea my glass is the same way I doubt an mp10 would hold good on 10mm glass…. I would say that with the mp40 on 10% and 20% it limits my flow pattern(I can’t gyre or create a wave, I can’t even run a random reef mode as it only goes from 20-10% power randomly which doesn’t do much for the flow pattern. I don’t mind this much but have read many articles that said one flow pattern is not so healthy for coral and stuff. I try to use my return nozzle to Run the opposite direction of my MP to try to break the flow up and create random pattern…. The little bit of coral I do have is happy …. Minus my goni I can’t seem to find a spot that has low flow and decent light for it to thrive so it stays retracted about 90% of the day lol I may try to save my mp40s for my upgrade tank in the future and may just try to find another less powerful power head where I can have 2 and try to run at higher ranges without causing sand storms etc

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you shouldn't adjust the flow for any fish, they will find their own spot thats comfortable for them. Especially clownfish, they will find their comfy spot and then rarely move.
I agree with this statement my clowns pick a spot and rarely move from it and I mean rarely.. only when it’s chow time you will see them swimming.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7F49D5C5-ABDA-492C-9458-3E7F5DCF50E3.jpeg
I had them on the back wall . Then tried the sides pointing at each other. You can see the right hand side one in the photo is the only one I turn on and like mentioned I can only run 10-20 percent max. Ideally I want to be able to use the different settings on MP like slave anti sync etc but they are just too strong for my 55 gallon

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my return nozzle running opposite direction from my MP40, that one is coming from a Vectra S2 at 70% intensity. I only have the pair of clownfish, so will have to keep monitoring when I start adding more fish and corals and adjust accordingly, if needed. I feel that 20% from the MP40 should be fine for now. I am planning to have a predominant Soft/LPS tank, so don't think will need to dial up much, maybe something around 30-35%.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back