Another Vodka Dosing Question

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not want to jack ocean in a boxs thread. I am interested in dosing my 92G tank, but all of the things I read on the subject give instructions that are based on your nitrates or phosphates being high, then when they finally start to recede, maintain that dosage, but what if your nitrates and phosphates are already good, but want to do it as a preventative?

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but want to do it as a preventative?

Then you would just be adding something to your tank that there is no need for, and would be pretty bumbed when things went south if you did.

I wouldn't dose anything that there isn't a need for.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was also thinking of coral growth and color, which seems to be better with vodka dosing.,

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was also thinking of coral growth and color, which seems to be better with vodka dosing.,

The only reason is due to low No3/Po4

If it is low already, there is no reason.

It is more important to have a rock steady tank. So I would focus my attention on that with the other parameters, and you should be dialed in as far as colors.
If your parameters creep up and there is no other way to get them down, then I would think about it.

aquascapesofla

zoakeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka

The only reason is due to low No3/Po4

If it is low already, there is no reason.

It is more important to have a rock steady tank. So I would focus my attention on that with the other parameters, and you should be dialed in as far as colors.
If your parameters creep up and there is no other way to get them down, then I would think about it.

x2

Vodka Dosing does nothing for color. It feeds bacteria to reduce No3/Po4 which in turn effects color and reduces excess nutrients. If it aint broke..................

I can tell you one thing that works.
Take a shot glass and fill it with vodka.
Drink it and repeat every 5 min
This will make all the colors in your aquarium brighter.:tongue:

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are able to feed your tank more with vodka dosing and still maintain the low params. Your fish are plump and healthy, poop more, providing more food for the corals...just my .02. Gotta have a decent skimmer for it though.

That being said I started it due to high No3 and PO4. If you have low params I would not mess with it.

Back