Anthias at bottom of QT--please help!

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On August 1, I introduced three orange anthias (squami) to my 20g long QT. The QT tank has a HOB filter, bubble filter and a small powerhead pointed at the surface of the water. The QT is fully cycled and has a bag of matrix rocks and a marine pure block that serve as bio filtration. The following is a summary and my issue:
  • August 1 - introduced 3 female squamis (one larger, one medium and one small) and they immediately began eating frozen spirulina brine shrimp.
  • August 2 - noticed that the big one flashed on a PVC pipe. She just did this just a handful of times and I began watching her like a hawk. This day was the only day that I saw her flashing.
  • August 6 - no visible sign of any parasite/disease, but added metroplex + fusion to food and squamis ate, but not with the vigor they had previously.
  • August 7 - Fed treated food three times and they kept spitting it out. None would eat it. I tried different levels of garlic, but it made no difference. Fed untreated brine and they ate like piranhas.
  • August 10 - Noticed visible ich on the largest squami. White specks on side of fish, tail and dorsal fin. Immediately began treating with Copper Power (2.36 measured with a Hannah Copper Checker). Also added PraziPro.
  • August 11-13 - All visible ich disappeared and all three fish were swimming, eating and acting normal.
  • August 14 - 25% water change and replaced amount of Copper Power I removed. Copper level in QT at 2.32.
  • August 15 - Checked on them in the morning and small and medium squamis acting normal, but largest fish was hiding behind bubble filter and breathing quickly. Immediately did a 40% water change and added carbon filtration. Small and medium-sized squamis eating well, but the large fish not eating at all.
  • August 15-17 - Large squami much more alert and not breathing heavily, but still hiding behind bubble filter. Still not eating, but when I drop in frozen brine, she swims out and "explores". But she looks perfect in terms of her coloring, fins, etc. The other two fish (medium and small) eating well.
Not sure if I "poisoned" her with copper or if there is something else going on. I know that anthias are more sensitive and maybe she was pre-disposed to this, but I just feel horrible--although I'm not sure I would have done anything different considering there was visible ich. Although I did not ramp up the copper level over several days and I'm now kicking myself for not doing this.

If anyone has any thoughts they would be much appreciated!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldnt dose two meds at once. Follow the sticky verbatim with every QT. Seems like you kind of jumped around. Start with copper. Diseases killed by prazi and GC can wait until copper is complete. The fish will naturally not eat as much in copper. Lower to 2.0 ppm. Ramping is not necessary ime. Power feed, I feed QT 5 times daily in large amounts. If the tank is cycled there will be no issues. Good luck.

OP
OP
kkelly007

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks--this might have been an issue as well. I did research this and there was a ton of support for dosing chelated copper and Prazi together with no issue, but I hear you. Really appreciate the quick response.

Back