Anthias got bullied - now looks like it's going to die?

mntran19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am new to saltwater aquariums. I added an anthia after leaving the bag in the tank to acclimate, then I put the fish in. After a few hours I noticed it was getting chased by my bristletooth tang and look stressed out. I took it out and put it in an acclimation box - but it looks so lethargic, the back fin is nipped, it's right eye looks like there are two small holes in it, and all it does is breathe heavily and lay down not swimming. It doesn't eat, I tried feeding it reef jerky and frozen mysis shrimp but it won't eat. I feel so bad, I should have left it in the acclimation box for a few days. Is there anything I can do to save it?

Reefer 250
2 clowns
1 bristletooth tang
1 cleaner wrasse
1 leopard wrasse
2 blood fire shrimp
snails

I attached pictures/videos - I'm not sure the right eye can be seen on the pic but it looks slightly cloudy and 2 small holes

IMG-7465.jpg IMG-7466.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-7475.MOV
    13.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

My first thought is that the fish may have undergone acclimation stress, resulting in its being open to attack my the tang. Many dealers keep their fish at lower salinity. If your tank is much higher, then the fish undergoes acclimation stress. Do you know the salinity of the dealer's tank (or can you call them to find out)? then, what is your tank's salinity?

Here is an article I wrote on fish acclimation:

Jay

OP
OP
mntran19

mntran19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

My first thought is that the fish may have undergone acclimation stress, resulting in its being open to attack my the tang. Many dealers keep their fish at lower salinity. If your tank is much higher, then the fish undergoes acclimation stress. Do you know the salinity of the dealer's tank (or can you call them to find out)? then, what is your tank's salinity?

Here is an article I wrote on fish acclimation:

Jay
My salinity is 1.025, fish store is at 1.026. Is that enough to stress it out? What can I do at this point to save my fish?

Thank you for your response.

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is 1.025, fish store is at 1.026. Is that enough to stress it out? What can I do at this point to save my fish?

from the video, it is essentially in the middle of nowhere which can psychologically stress certain fish out. I would put a PVC pipe or some sort of hiding place in there for now so that it feels more secure

OP
OP
mntran19

mntran19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the video, it is essentially in the middle of nowhere which can psychologically stress certain fish out. I would put a PVC pipe or some sort of hiding place in there for now so that it feels more secure
Thank you for your feedback - I will go out and buy some L shaped PVC and add it to the acclimation box

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No - given that info, you can rule out acclimation stress from salinity in this case.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back