Anthias identification help

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,
For those that have a good taxonomy of Anthias - could you please point me in the right direction?
I've been searching over the past few years for Sunset Anthias/Pseudanthias parvirostris, and came across a couple of others that don't quite match the profile of any of the phases of this fish.
One supplier sent me in the first shipment a few Pseudanthias parvirostris, but when I made a second order the Anthias in questions showed up.
I've tethered a few pictures to illustrate (apologies for the quality - I was having a difficult time getting them to hold still and strike an illustrative pose...).

20230927_122258.jpg

The one on the right is the Pseudanthias parvirostris, with the lavender "V" between the eyes (the "V" is evident in every stage of this Anthias from what I've been able to find). The one on the left has no "V", and has bright blue eyes along with a lavender dorsal fin. Same body size, shape, mouth structure.

20230927_122300.jpg

The Pseudanthias parvirostris is again on the right ("V" is visible between the eyes), and the two Anthias begging a firm id on the left.

20230927_122317a.jpg

Here's some baby blues lookin' at you from the Anthias in question.

Any and all assistance is appreciated!

Cheers,
Ray :cool:

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like Carberryi Anthias to me…., and one of them has a dark vertical shadow that resembles the beginning of uronema. Have them been QT’ed?

OP
OP
rgulrich

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I've taken a look at a collection of Caryberryi and these don't really match, especially with regards to the initial dorsal rays not lending to the "Threadfin" moniker.
I'll keep looking, though - thanks!
They have been fully quarantined with a prophylactic protocol. That image isn't the best - the vertical bar is a lighting artifact. They've been in the reef for well over a month now.
Perhaps if I can exert some sort of patience with these lively little stinkers I'll be able to get a few decent pics...
Cheers,

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of dispar females that looked like yours. Take a look at some dispar female photos to see if those could be what you have.

OP
OP
rgulrich

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video for size comparison (often hard to do in stills). The Chromis viridis are around 10 years old and full grown.

The Anthias in question are the same size as what I'm presuming are the female Pseudanthias parvirostris (one pictured here).
20230929_151122a.jpg

Here's a couple better shots of the Anthias I'm trying to i.d.
20230929_150825a.jpg

20230929_150827a.jpg

Lots of pictures later, I finally get it to pose for one or two...

Even if I never identify them, they are pretty darn nice looking fish and they seem to enjoy hanging out with the other Anthias. I do have some transitioning sub-adult Pseudanthias parvirostris as well, so should have an interesting shoal by the time things are done.

As always, thanks for any and all help/assistance.

Cheers,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back