Anthias Recommendations for 90 Gal

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to hear from some anthias keepers.

Currently have a 90 gal tank (48x18x24) with a 20 gal sump.

1 Midas blenny
1 purple tang
2 blue stripe pipefish
1 blue star leopard wrasse

Levels are all good and I’m looking into adding some anthias. Have been doing some reading and really hoping for some recommendations.

I want to add 1 fathead sunset anthias, I know the tank is slightly small but I have lots of hiding spots and overhangs.

I also want to add 3-4 of a more peaceful anthias. I have heard the Bartlett and lyretail can get aggressive. Some of the more peaceful I’ve read are the sunset, ignitues and dispar.

Let me know which ones you currently keep and what you think would be best for me. Any recommendations are very much appreciated.

5DEFDD7C-7915-4BFF-B5FD-24390C536FE1.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only recommend two types of anthias that I currently have in my tank: 3x female lyretails (which school together) and a marcia's anthias (that has taken up leading the pack of green chromis in my tank). Both have been extremely peaceful with zero signs of aggression.

I had these all drip acclimating in a 1.5 gallon container prior to introduction in my 160-gallon system.

468636E1-0523-4944-A468-6DF40D44B9BC.jpeg

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get lyretails, they get aggressive, and large. Also I would avoid Bartletts. +1 for Randalls, also give Resplendent anthias a look those are wonderful as well. Ignitus, dispar, and sunsets are also all easy and much more peaceful than the larger anthias. The sunburst you want will do well in this tank with any of the recommended anthias.

OP
OP
Newbiereefer98

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only recommend two types of anthias that I currently have in my tank: 3x female lyretails (which school together) and a marcia's anthias (that has taken up leading the pack of green chromis in my tank). Both have been extremely peaceful with zero signs of aggression.

I had these all drip acclimating in a 1.5 gallon container prior to introduction in my 160-gallon system.

468636E1-0523-4944-A468-6DF40D44B9BC.jpeg
How long have you had the lyretails? Are any of them starting to turn to male?

OP
OP
Newbiereefer98

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get lyretails, they get aggressive, and large. Also I would avoid Bartletts. +1 for Randalls, also give Resplendent anthias a look those are wonderful as well. Ignitus, dispar, and sunsets are also all easy and much more peaceful than the larger anthias. The sunburst you want will do well in this tank with any of the recommended anthias.
If I go with one of the 5 you recommended do you think I should get 3 or 4 females? I have heard 3 can go south quicker than 3.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is Red Sea XL 425.
I bought 5.One died during shipping and another was bullied by some fish. These 3 very hardy.They have been in tank few months. 3 feedings a day-4/5-6-8.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your post. Let me recommend one that you had already mentioned. Fathead Sunburst Anthias. I have 2 along with 10 other larger fish in my 180g. They seen real peaceful. They don’t hang around each other much. Beautiful fish. Feed at least twice a day. Good luck. Pic of one of mine:
A9F0B4AA-9F60-4F42-8F33-021732C797E3.jpeg

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go with one of the 5 you recommended do you think I should get 3 or 4 females? I have heard 3 can go south quicker than 3.
Honesty I have never found any major difference, as the species I recommend you get are more peaceful and (in my opinion ofc) you don’t need to worry about that as much as you might with lyretails for instance. Personally I would get 3 females and a male of randalls, a pair of ignitus just for contrast, and then that fathead sunburst. Also in terms of feeding, unless the species is Tuka, pascalus, or evansi, feeding once a day is enough.

OP
OP
Newbiereefer98

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your post. Let me recommend one that you had already mentioned. Fathead Sunburst Anthias. I have 2 along with 10 other larger fish in my 180g. They seen real peaceful. They don’t hang around each other much. Beautiful fish. Feed at least twice a day. Good luck. Pic of one of mine:
A9F0B4AA-9F60-4F42-8F33-021732C797E3.jpeg
Beautiful fish, I will definitely be adding one to my tank!

OP
OP
Newbiereefer98

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honesty I have never found any major difference, as the species I recommend you get are more peaceful and (in my opinion ofc) you don’t need to worry about that as much as you might with lyretails for instance. Personally I would get 3 females and a male of randalls, a pair of ignitus just for contrast, and then that fathead sunburst. Also in terms of feeding, unless the species is Tuka, pascalus, or evansi, feeding once a day is enough.
Thank you for all the advice! You don’t think that would be too many fish? Thinking of doing 4 female Randall’s and 2 sunset females with the fathead. That would put me at 12 fish, if you count the tiny pipefish lol. Also do you think I should actually add a male as most places suggest to add all females and let them figure it out.

Back