Anthias recommendations?

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone. Need some help with selecting Anthias. I would like to get a few for my 5ft tank. I would prefer them to school and not kill one after another if these exist. What would be the best options? I was in favor of the Bartlett’s but after doing some research, they seem to kill each other. Looking forward to what everyone recommends.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your main aim is a 'school' I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions, once settled anthias do not school or shoal. That behavior is a result of predators being around, so unless you are thinking of adding a couple of lionfish...

If you are looking for 'peaceful' anthias, bearing in mind they all use physical dominance to maintain a hierarchy, then you have a good number of species to choose from- Ignitus, Dispar, Sunset, Resplendent are fairly easy. If you want something a little more challenging - Carberry, Evansii,.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your main aim is a 'school' I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions, once settled anthias do not school or shoal. That behavior is a result of predators being around, so unless you are thinking of adding a couple of lionfish...

If you are looking for 'peaceful' anthias, bearing in mind they all use physical dominance to maintain a hierarchy, then you have a good number of species to choose from- Ignitus, Dispar, Sunset, Resplendent are fairly easy. If you want something a little more challenging - Carberry, Evansi

Well I know I said school but should of said added movement to the tank to where the fish aren't hiding all the time. My tank I am upgrading from, all the fish seem to hide other than when I feed them.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know I said school but should of said added movement to the tank to where the fish aren't hiding all the time. My tank I am upgrading from, all the fish seem to hide other than when I feed them.
Anthias should spend most of their time in midwater on show, unless you have other fish that may stress them. I have found anthias don't like 'big' fast fish, flashing about, they tend to stay near cover ready to dive into it.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail anthias are very pretty and they school. I have a few in my tank. They are very active and are known for being good eaters. They hold their own against other fish and don’t hide like other anthias.

The largest one will turn male, and if he dies the largest female will transition to male.

They also aren’t super expensive, usually $50ish per fish.

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another +1 on the lyretail. Peaceful, but bold enough to not be bullied. Very active and beautiful too, and a great eater. Mine has a foxface that has become it’s shadow and follows it around everywhere like a puppy.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two Ignitus and two Dispar in my tank and they swim together all the time. Lots of activity, but no true schooling. Get along fine with my one Blue Green Chromis, two Percula, one Yellow Tang, one Bristletooth Tang and one Purple Pseudochromis. The Dispar were added last and are smaller than the Ignitus.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Lyretail. They are not always together, but they do group up here and there.

1627913808989.png
1627913819907.png

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocky anthias are pretty hardy and wont break the bank. They add some nice colour and movement. They will sometimes shoal, sometimes go perch on the rocks. Sometimes dart in and out of the high flow from th powerheads. I did noticed since adding them all my fish come out now and they tend to all school together its kinda cool.

Chromis are another good choice and you can get different types/colours. Stripy/purple/black/blue/green etc. My chromis and anthias will gerally swim together, but at times they do there own thing. Stocky anthias will even push tangs out the way and hold there own

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two Ignitus and two Dispar in my tank and they swim together all the time. Lots of activity, but no true schooling. Get along fine with my one Blue Green Chromis, two Percula, one Yellow Tang, one Bristletooth Tang and one Purple Pseudochromis. The Dispar were added last and are smaller than the Ignitus.
that is awesome. didnt know you could mix them for the most part.
I have Lyretail. They are not always together, but they do group up here and there.

1627913808989.png
1627913819907.png
beautiful tank buddy!
If you can afford it and want more of a solitary but individually stunning species, a Borbonius Anthias. :) Maybe a Sunburst.
I have a Sunburst in my 100 gallon and he/she does nothing but hid until I feed. Nothing but PJ cardinals, midas blenny and storm clowns.
Stocky anthias are pretty hardy and wont break the bank. They add some nice colour and movement. They will sometimes shoal, sometimes go perch on the rocks. Sometimes dart in and out of the high flow from th powerheads. I did noticed since adding them all my fish come out now and they tend to all school together its kinda cool.

Chromis are another good choice and you can get different types/colours. Stripy/purple/black/blue/green etc. My chromis and anthias will gerally swim together, but at times they do there own thing. Stocky anthias will even push tangs out the way and hold there own
I will check them out. didnt really think about chromis.

Back