Anthocercis care

Paulb89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I purchased a wild aussie anthocercis colony a few months back and it was initially a nice pale yellow base with pink/red tips.
As time has gone on it has dulled a fair bit and no longer extends it's polyps throughout the day, only at night time at lights out.

I thought it may need more light so it's not sitting in 350-400 par

Has anyone got any tips with this species or special care requirements? Or know what par levels it requires?

IMG_20230731_132932.jpg IMG_20230731_132952.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I purchased a wild aussie anthocercis colony a few months back and it was initially a nice pale yellow base with pink/red tips.
As time has gone on it has dulled a fair bit and no longer extends it's polyps throughout the day, only at night time at lights out.

I thought it may need more light so it's not sitting in 350-400 par

Has anyone got any tips with this species or special care requirements? Or know what par levels it requires?
Are you sure it's not getting too much PAR? My large chip's acro is sitting between 250-325 PAR.

OP
OP
P

Paulb89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's not getting too much PAR? My large chip's acro is sitting between 250-325 PAR.
It was initially placed in one spot at 250 300 par and after about 4 months it turned to how it is now so I moved it up hoping to see an improvement but it's the same and hasn't bleached or anything so I'm a bit lost with this one

I did read from a Australian coral collector that these like intense strong lighting but just wanted others opinions on what they do and see

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was initially placed in one spot at 250 300 par and after about 4 months it turned to how it is now so I moved it up hoping to see an improvement but it's the same and hasn't bleached or anything so I'm a bit lost with this one

I did read from a Australian coral collector that these like intense strong lighting but just wanted others opinions on what they do and see
All the SPS in my system seems to do really well in the 275-350 PAR range.

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthocercis definitely wants a lot of light, especially one that was wild collected. I used to keep mine around 450ish. Equally as important is flow and healthy/stable params, though

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back