Antibiotics

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This information is direct from Humblefish and I'm posting it here with his permission

The antibiotics we currently use to treat bacterial infections by dosing the water water column tend to be very slow acting but there are some new options that he has been using and I am currently using myself, ciprofloxacin and enrofloxacin. He told me that he has not had any issues treating bacterial infections since discovering these medications.

The method of administering them can be a bit of a pain but it's worth the effort:

1) Ciprofloxacin (Best administered via a 1-hour bath treatment. Dosage is high: 250mg per gal. Repeat every 24 hours for 7 days.)

2) Enrofloxacin (Most advanced antibiotic approved for use in tropical fish ... Dosage range is 2.5 - 5 mg/L daily for 7 days; can be used both in a QT or as a 5 hour bath treatment. The tricky thing about Enrofloxacin is the 2.5 - 5 mg/L dosage range is actually safe for QT use, but the nitrifying bacteria will also take a hit. So, the primary reason to administer the medication as a 5 hr bath is to spare your biofilter.)

I asked him and he confirmed that it is ok to use prime to combat ammonia if you dose enrofloxacin in a qt

Between the baths he also recommends placing a uv sterilizer in the QT to kill any harmful bacteria that is present in the water column to prevent reinfection.

Here are a couple of sources to purchase the medications:

I hope this information can help us to save more of our fish!

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro like levaquin has made most DRs don't prescribe any more list as while both work very well fluoroquinolones have unacceptable amount of bad side effects at least for people.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro like levaquin has made most DRs don't prescribe any more list as while both work very well fluoroquinolones have unacceptable amount of bad side effects at least for people.
I'm not sure if there are documented side effects in fish, or what they may be, but I can share my experience with the blue hippo tang I'm currently treating with cipro. After 6 days the infection is clearing and her activity and appetite have increased dramatically. I previously used kanaplex +metroplex +furan 2 on the same fish and noticed very little/very slow improvement compared to the cipro

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suddenly I see Dory swimming like Nemo did... could you imagine a blue tang with a ruptured tendon on 1 side fin? But yes I have no idea of what the side effects of fluoroquinolones may be in fish...I do know in people they are very effective.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back