SOS!An uncommon disease! My clownfish suddenly developed clear tumors!

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
微信图片_20240115002832.jpg
微信图片_20240115002829.jpg

Two of my clownfish have this disease and are still eating, and eating a lot!
About Water quality:I am using the transfer method to quarantine clownfish and I will change all the water every day and feed them before changing the water to make sure the water is clean.The temperature is the same. I set the temperature at 25 degrees.
I had already used waterlife to get rid of parasites and had taken a few formalin baths. I am very worried about whether it will infect my other fish, is there a better way? I am currently on antibiotics and this looks like a bacterial infection.

OP
OP
G

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a video, please send me your email and I will send it to you. Thank you very much!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks dang near like the “bends” … not saying it ( probably not) but I’ve seen similar pustules in gas depleted water
…Definitely interested in more. competent diagnosis

edit add: did you use hot water at anytime to adjust the temperature?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hard
微信图片_20240115002832.jpg
微信图片_20240115002829.jpg

Two of my clownfish have this disease and are still eating, and eating a lot!
About Water quality:I am using the transfer method to quarantine clownfish and I will change all the water every day and feed them before changing the water to make sure the water is clean.The temperature is the same. I set the temperature at 25 degrees.
I had already used waterlife to get rid of parasites and had taken a few formalin baths. I am very worried about whether it will infect my other fish, is there a better way? I am currently on antibiotics and this looks like a bacterial infection.
Hard to tell with fish out of water but appears to be excess mucus but may be bacterial
Need to see fish in water under white light intensity and is fish breathing normal or rapidly?
Still eating?
Also any unusual swim activity?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard

Hard to tell with fish out of water but appears to be excess mucus but may be bacterial
Need to see fish in water under white light intensity and is fish breathing normal or rapidly?
Still eating?
Also any unusual swim activity?
yeah I was wondering also if those things are solid, liquid or gas

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a video, please send me your email and I will send it to you. Thank you very much!
Yes - video would help, or at least still pictures of the fish in the water. Linking to YouTube works.

It doesn’t look bacterial to me. How long did the lesions take to grow? Over a few days, a week? Did they show up all at once, fully grown?

Jay

OP
OP
G

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - video would help, or at least still pictures of the fish in the water. Linking to YouTube works.

It doesn’t look bacterial to me. How long did the lesions take to grow? Over a few days, a week? Did they show up all at once, fully grown?

Jay
Hello how are you?
I uploaded the video to YOUTUBE, could you please help me to see how I can treat my clownfish?

OP
OP
G

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello how are you?
I uploaded the video to YOUTUBE, could you please help me to see how I can treat my clownfish?

So far, the clownfish with the abnormal abdomen has stopped eating, and the other one is still eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, the clownfish with the abnormal abdomen has stopped eating, and the other one is still eating.

There are multiple issues here - the first two videos show what looks like Lymphocystis on the fin of the clown. The spot on its abdomen also looks like Lymphocystis, but it is in a VERY unusual location, I've never seen it there of a fish before.

The fish in the third video is breathing too fast. Lymphocystis does not cause that, so it has some other issue. It could be gill disease or poor water quality or poor aeration.

OP
OP
G

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple issues here - the first two videos show what looks like Lymphocystis on the fin of the clown. The spot on its abdomen also looks like Lymphocystis, but it is in a VERY unusual location, I've never seen it there of a fish before.

The fish in the third video is breathing too fast. Lymphocystis does not cause that, so it has some other issue. It could be gill disease or poor water quality or poor aeration.
Thank you for your answer. What medicine should I use to treat them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your answer. What medicine should I use to treat them?
Is your water testing good? Does the tank have good aeration? If so, then it could be a gill disease. Trouble is there are four different types of diseases that cause rapid breathing in fish. Do you have copper medication?

OP
OP
G

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your water testing good? Does the tank have good aeration? If so, then it could be a gill disease. Trouble is there are four different types of diseases that cause rapid breathing in fish. Do you have copper medication?
I change all the water every day, and keep the temperature and salinity consistent, I think my water quality should be no problem.
Maybe they got spooked when I pulled them out, and there was a little clownfish that was already in bad shape, and maybe I'll send it to my friend to do an autopsy to find out what happened.
I sent the video to one of our country's leading aquarium doctors, and he said it looked like a fungal infection, and the fungus had grown on the clownfish. He suggested that I take a cotton swab and dip it into a diluted formalin solution and click it on the infected area.

OP
OP
G

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change all the water every day, and keep the temperature and salinity consistent, I think my water quality should be no problem.
Maybe they got spooked when I pulled them out, and there was a little clownfish that was already in bad shape, and maybe I'll send it to my friend to do an autopsy to find out what happened.
I sent the video to one of our country's leading aquarium doctors, and he said it looked like a fungal infection, and the fungus had grown on the clownfish. He suggested that I take a cotton swab and dip it into a diluted formalin solution and click it on the infected area.
I think fish from eating to not eating is very deadly, if he is still eating I don't think I would still give up on him, but so far it looks bad, I am prepared for the worst, after the autopsy if the cause is determined, I think I will update here, thank you for your answer.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think fish from eating to not eating is very deadly, if he is still eating I don't think I would still give up on him, but so far it looks bad, I am prepared for the worst, after the autopsy if the cause is determined, I think I will update here, thank you for your answer.
Fungal diseases are very rare in marine fish, but the lesion on the clownfish abdomen is the right color to be that. Formalin swabbed on it is one possible treatment, but I don’t know the dose for that. I have used formalin as a dip at 150ppm for 30 minutes with good aeration though.

Jay

OP
OP
G

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fungal diseases are very rare in marine fish, but the lesion on the clownfish abdomen is the right color to be that. Formalin swabbed on it is one possible treatment, but I don’t know the dose for that. I have used formalin as a dip at 150ppm for 30 minutes with good aeration though.

Jay
The bad news is that one of the little clownfish died while the other was still eating. Fungal infections are uncommon in clownfish and usually occur in large angelfish. I've sent the body to the lab, and I'll have them do an autopsy, find out what caused it, identify what kind of infection it was. Formalin. I put it in the area where the clownfish is sick. In addition, I also added munster4000 to the water body to combat the worsening of the disease. Maybe one day I'll use this brand of red powder to sterilize all my fish.

OP
OP
G

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be some concrete results tomorrow, but my clownfish often develop diseases that I have never seen before, which I think are due to a weakened immune system caused by cyanide poisoning, which eventually leads to death.
The bad news is that one of the little clownfish died while the other was still eating. Fungal infections are uncommon in clownfish and usually occur in large angelfish. I've sent the body to the lab, and I'll have them do an autopsy, find out what caused it, identify what kind of infection it was. Formalin. I put it in the area where the clownfish is sick. In addition, I also added munster4000 to the water body to combat the worsening of the disease. Maybe one day I'll use this brand of red powder to sterilize all my fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be some concrete results tomorrow, but my clownfish often develop diseases that I have never seen before, which I think are due to a weakened immune system caused by cyanide poisoning, which eventually leads to death.

Clownfish are rarely, if ever, collected with cyanide. Wild caught clowns are prone to a variety of diseases though….

Jay

OP
OP
G

Grey L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are rarely, if ever, collected with cyanide. Wild caught clowns are prone to a variety of diseases though….

Jay
Hi jay, how are you?
I have got some results, they told me that the white lesion on the clownfish is a Flavobacterium cloumnare infection, which is basically difficult to cure, I am using munster's red powder for treatment, and apply hydrogen peroxide to the lesion every day, there is no relatively mature treatment plan, so I try to solve the problem on my own.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jay, how are you?
I have got some results, they told me that the white lesion on the clownfish is a Flavobacterium cloumnare infection, which is basically difficult to cure, I am using munster's red powder for treatment, and apply hydrogen peroxide to the lesion every day, there is no relatively mature treatment plan, so I try to solve the problem on my own.

Well, the trouble with that diagnosis is that Flavobacterium columnare is a disease of FRESHWATER fish, not marine fish, so something is wrong with their diagnosis. There are some Flavobacterium found in marine fish, but not that species.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back