ID disease copperband

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I believe that my copperband was attacked by my tang a couple of weeks ago which led to some bumps / bruises. I assumed it would go away, but it hasnt. It’s making me question whether it might be a disease afterall. No other fish have any marks or anything (and as mentioned its been werks by now)

The fish is eating and moving healthy for weeks now in spite of the bumps.

Could anyone ID whether this is just a cut? If its infected or a disease? And treatment suggestions if needed would be appreciated.

IMG_9024.jpeg IMG_9025.jpeg IMG_9027.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,

I believe that my copperband was attacked by my tang a couple of weeks ago which led to some bumps / bruises. I assumed it would go away, but it hasnt. It’s making me question whether it might be a disease afterall. No other fish have any marks or anything (and as mentioned its been werks by now)

The fish is eating and moving healthy for weeks now in spite of the bumps.

Could anyone ID whether this is just a cut? If its infected or a disease? And treatment suggestions if needed would be appreciated.

IMG_9024.jpeg IMG_9025.jpeg IMG_9027.jpeg
I see what looks like a tail strike but it is near impossible to see these issues on a fish out of water and also stressful to a given fish. Please repost pics in water under white light intensity
If a tail strike, should heal on its own however have on hand Seachem neoplex or kanaplex should area become infected

OP
OP
B

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. Hopefully this is a more helpful photo.

Attachments

• IMG_9037.jpeg
    IMG_9037.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 22

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the responses. Hopefully this is a more helpful photo.
Thanks or the new pictures. Since the initiating injury has healed (ie.. I don't see any broken skin, etc.) it could be an abscess type of situation, or something similar to a bruise under the skin. Can you remember were there open wounds at first that closed up?

OP
OP
B

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks or the new pictures. Since the initiating injury has healed (ie.. I don't see any broken skin, etc.) it could be an abscess type of situation, or something similar to a bruise under the skin. Can you remember were there open wounds at first that closed up?
Thanks! I don’t remember seeing a large open wound. The bump used to be significantly less pronounced though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I don’t remember seeing a large open wound. The bump used to be significantly less pronounced though.
Im going to ask @Jay Hemdal to weigh in - my impression is that this is (though possibly originally related to injury) - not an internal issue

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to ask @Jay Hemdal to weigh in - my impression is that this is (though possibly originally related to injury) - not an internal issue
Sometimes pictures just don’t show us enough. Icthyophonus is an internal fungus-like infection that can grow inside a fish and eventually make a skin eruption like this - OR it can be an injury that has gotten infected…..

OP
OP
B

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Given that it is not certain what the cause is, what would be the advised course of action? Take no action because its unclear? Treat as though it is and infected wound? What would be the advise in case of an infected wound treatment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Given that it is not certain what the cause is, what would be the advised course of action? Take no action because its unclear? Treat as though it is and infected wound? What would be the advise in case of an infected wound treatment?
There is no treatment for Icthyophonus.
If it is bacterial, an antibiotic bath could help, but that needs to be done in a treatment tank, and CBB don’t like being moved and aggressively treated.
However, if the condition is worsening, doing nothing isn’t going to be a good idea. Tough call!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no treatment for Icthyophonus.
If it is bacterial, an antibiotic bath could help, but that needs to be done in a treatment tank, and CBB don’t like being moved and aggressively treated.
However, if the condition is worsening, doing nothing isn’t going to be a good idea. Tough call!
agree with Jay - if getting better or same. keep watching if worse, I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic like kanaplex (in a hospital tank)

OP
OP
B

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, much appreciated. Ill continue monitoring for now and if it gets worse ill try an antibiotic treatment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back