Clownfish disease ID

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this to be brooklynella but need some help on ID. I introduced two clownfish after tank had been fishless for a few weeks. I had an unknown disease kill everything but corals and inverts. Thought I had it clear but obviously not. I need help in ID so I can help these clowns (unlikely) and come up with a plan for restocking.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2556.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only waited a few weeks before introducing fish again? Why? If a disease wiped out all your fish there are protocols to follow before adding fish again. Clowns are prone to brook so that's probably the case for your tank. The new fish will be dead in short term without proper treatment. Formulin is the preferred treatment for brook.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe this to be brooklynella but need some help on ID. I introduced to clownfish after tank had been fishless for a few weeks. I had an unknown disease kill everything but corals and inverts. Thought I had it clear but clearly not. I need help in ID so I can help these clowns (unlikely) and come up with a plan for restocking.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2556.jpeg
Looks very much like brooklynella
The amount of slime is first indicator followed by what looks like bacterial lesions
Typical treatment is formalin based which is hard to acquire
Ruby rally pro will take a couple of days to take effect but will work
For temporary relief, you can give fish a 5 minute freshwater dip

OP
OP
Willhersh34

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only waited a few weeks before introducing fish again? Why? If a disease wiped out all your fish there are protocols to follow before adding fish again. Clowns are prone to brook so that's probably the case for your tank. The new fish will be dead in short term without proper treatment. Formulin is the preferred treatment for brook.
I waited about a month. None of the other fish displayed symptoms of anything and there were only a couple in the tank. Since all other inhabitants showed nothing going on I started with a clown to see if things had cleared.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited about a month. None of the other fish displayed symptoms of anything and there were only a couple in the tank. Since all other inhabitants showed nothing going on I started with a clown to see if things had cleared.
Then all fish will need to be removed and treated in QT tank with formulin. Primary tank needs to fallow minimum of 45 days.

OP
OP
Willhersh34

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then all fish will need to be removed and treated in QT tank with formulin. Primary tank needs to fallow minimum of 45 days.
There are no other fish at this time but I'm removing the clowns to QT. I'll let the tank sit, I just needed to wait it out longer. First saltwater disease I've had so I jumped the gun..........

Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back