Clownfish Suddenly Breathing Quickly on Sandbed

jlbrew3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - just now I noticed one of my clownfish breathing heavily on the bottom of the tank. See the video for more info.

This is an established tank - up and running for over a year - with 8 other fish thriving, including the other clown (who you can see in the video). No signs of disease or stress on any other fish. The clowns are not new - they've been in for ~8 months.

The impacted clown was definitely eating yesterday and may have even been eating this morning. I just noticed this recently and work out of the same room my tank is in so believe I would have noticed this if the clown was in distress as recently as this morning.

Aside from some damage to his tail, I don't see any other visual symptoms of disease. I did add some new coral yesterday (I did dip it) but that's the only thing that has changed with the tank recently.

Would appreciate any insight folks have on what might be going on - is the fish injured? sick? Any advice on what I should do? It seems like a freshwater dip may be called for?

Thanks in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone - just now I noticed one of my clownfish breathing heavily on the bottom of the tank. See the video for more info.

This is an established tank - up and running for over a year - with 8 other fish thriving, including the other clown (who you can see in the video). No signs of disease or stress on any other fish. The clowns are not new - they've been in for ~8 months.

The impacted clown was definitely eating yesterday and may have even been eating this morning. I just noticed this recently and work out of the same room my tank is in so believe I would have noticed this if the clown was in distress as recently as this morning.

Aside from some damage to his tail, I don't see any other visual symptoms of disease. I did add some new coral yesterday (I did dip it) but that's the only thing that has changed with the tank recently.

Would appreciate any insight folks have on what might be going on - is the fish injured? sick? Any advice on what I should do? It seems like a freshwater dip may be called for?

Thanks in advance!

Although images are dark, I can see what's happening. ..... This clown is likely a victim of aggression and the larger often being the female is the aggressor. This as i have mentioned to others is a role known as clown Hierarchy in which the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. They become greedy for food and try to eat most of the food as it enters the tank and become aggressive to protect their home which may be an anemone, a nesting area, or the whole tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its zone, you likely have a female. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open
The tail should heal on its own but take some time and isolation was the best thing you could do. IF it becomes infected, it will need to be quarantined and treated with Seachem kanaplex

OP
OP
J

jlbrew3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although images are dark, I can see what's happening. ..... This clown is likely a victim of aggression and the larger often being the female is the aggressor. This as i have mentioned to others is a role known as clown Hierarchy in which the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. They become greedy for food and try to eat most of the food as it enters the tank and become aggressive to protect their home which may be an anemone, a nesting area, or the whole tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its zone, you likely have a female. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open
The tail should heal on its own but take some time and isolation was the best thing you could do. IF it becomes infected, it will need to be quarantined and treated with Seachem kanaplex
I appreciate the input very much but a few observations. The larger of the two clowns is the one impacted, not the smaller. They've also never exhibited any aggression towards each other in the several months they've been in the tank. They both get plenty of food and neither chases me when I wipe the glass. Both are just as "social" - out in the open, moving around the tank, etc.

This new behavior is very sudden and a major departure from their usual dynamic. Does the aggression theory still strike you as the most likely cause?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I appreciate the input very much but a few observations. The larger of the two clowns is the one impacted, not the smaller. They've also never exhibited any aggression towards each other in the several months they've been in the tank. They both get plenty of food and neither chases me when I wipe the glass. Both are just as "social" - out in the open, moving around the tank, etc.

This new behavior is very sudden and a major departure from their usual dynamic. Does the aggression theory still strike you as the most likely cause?
Based on the tail = yes. There are rare instances with the smaller being the aggressor but not impossible.
Have you noticed squabbling amongst them? It generally happens at feeding time and at start of day.
One test you can do is to feed and set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see if there is any evidence

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with @vetteguy53081 - those sharp notched edges on the tail can really only come from physical damage. In this instance, I can't see any other cause than another fish in the tank. Are there other fish in the tank with the clownfish pair? It could be one of those, but most likely the pair bond broke down here.

You will rarely see aggression happening with clownfish; they are really observant and curious. When you walk into the room, their behavior will change and that means they often stop fighting...until you leave. Also, the fighting can be very transient - just a few seconds a day, which you may never see.

You should isolate this clown to see if its breathing rate gets better. There could also be concurrent issues - something else is making the clown breath fast, and that weakened it, allowing the tankmate aggression to happen....

Jay

OP
OP
J

jlbrew3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @vetteguy53081 - those sharp notched edges on the tail can really only come from physical damage. In this instance, I can't see any other cause than another fish in the tank. Are there other fish in the tank with the clownfish pair? It could be one of those, but most likely the pair bond broke down here.

You will rarely see aggression happening with clownfish; they are really observant and curious. When you walk into the room, their behavior will change and that means they often stop fighting...until you leave. Also, the fighting can be very transient - just a few seconds a day, which you may never see.

You should isolate this clown to see if its breathing rate gets better. There could also be concurrent issues - something else is making the clown breath fast, and that weakened it, allowing the tankmate aggression to happen....

Jay

@Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 - thank you both for your insights.

The tank does have about 8 other fish in it, none of which are new. Aside from some new coral yesterday, there haven't been any changes to tank inhabitants.

I've ordered an acclimation box for delivery overnight and will get the clown into it first thing in the morning (hopefully they're okay until then).

Will post an update once I have one. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 - thank you both for your insights.

The tank does have about 8 other fish in it, none of which are new. Aside from some new coral yesterday, there haven't been any changes to tank inhabitants.

I've ordered an acclimation box for delivery overnight and will get the clown into it first thing in the morning (hopefully they're okay until then).

Will post an update once I have one. Thanks

If you post a list of the fish and their relative sizes, we might be able to determine any likely culprits.

OP
OP
J

jlbrew3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you post a list of the fish and their relative sizes, we might be able to determine any likely culprits.
I appreciate that. The clowns are definitely the smallest fish in the tank. Their tankmates are:
- Spotted watchman goby (+ pistol shrimp)
- 3 banggai cardinalfish
- 1 longnose hawkfish
- 1 aiptasia eating filefish
- 1 foxface rabbitfish
- 1 sailfin tang

Again, none are new. These guys have all been tankmates for several months without issue. The sailfin was the last to go in and when it did, it was definitely a bit of a bully to the clowns but that settled down in a few days (and was several months ago at this point).

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I appreciate that. The clowns are definitely the smallest fish in the tank. Their tankmates are:
- 3 banggai cardinalfish
- 1 longnose hawkfish
- 1 foxface rabbitfish
- 1 sailfin tang

Again, none are new. These guys have all been tankmates for several months without issue. The sailfin was the last to go in and when it did, it was definitely a bit of a bully to the clowns but that settled down in a few days (and was several months ago at this point).

Thanks!
Culprits are Hawkfish and possible on filefish.
Let see what Jay thinks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- 3 banggai cardinalfish
- 1 longnose hawkfish
- 1 foxface rabbitfish
- 1 sailfin tang

Thanks!
Clowns being clowns, that would be where I would look first. The filefish can bite, but a clown should be faster. The sailfin can’t bite, it would use its tail scalpel. The other fish aren’t likely to be a problem.

OP
OP
J

jlbrew3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 quick update this morning to say that it seems like everything is back to normal? The clown is swimming around happily, breathing normally, and ate a big breakfast just now (with no issue coming out into the middle and top of the tank to get shrimp).

Not really sure what happened yesterday. Maybe it got nipped and stressed and just needed to recover a bit? Mostly I'm glad things have returned to normal. The acclimation box arrived but I don't plan to use it right now. I doubt I could catch the clown now that they're back to normal anyway.

Just want to thank you for the info and advice yesterday!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 quick update this morning to say that it seems like everything is back to normal? The clown is swimming around happily, breathing normally, and ate a big breakfast just now (with no issue coming out into the middle and top of the tank to get shrimp).

Not really sure what happened yesterday. Maybe it got nipped and stressed and just needed to recover a bit? Mostly I'm glad things have returned to normal. The acclimation box arrived but I don't plan to use it right now. I doubt I could catch the clown now that they're back to normal anyway.

Just want to thank you for the info and advice yesterday!
Great to hear

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back