Is my Clownfish ok?

TMCross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just started a saltwater tank a couple weeks ago but one of our clown fish is not eating, breathing fast, and is more dull in color than the other. The ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 10ppm with a ph of 8. This is a 36gal tank and they are the only fish. Appreciate the help.
1000001179.jpg

Attachments

• 20240308_155946.mp4
    20.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We just started a saltwater tank a couple weeks ago but one of our clown fish is not eating, breathing fast, and is more dull in color than the other. The ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 10ppm with a ph of 8. This is a 36gal tank and they are the only fish. Appreciate the help.
1000001179.jpg
Video does not play but at first glance, nothing sticks out.
Your concerns may point to brook, but speculation. Please try a you tube video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try this.

I do suspect brook especially with the way the smaller clown is swimming. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body which is noticeable on the fish and generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Start with a prolonged 60 minute bath of ruby rally pro then at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Since a formalin solution is often not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as easy as a second hand tank from a thrift store or as simple as a starter tank kit from Walmart which has most of the essentials

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back