Any advice on building a DIY aquarium? Specifically a frag tank

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Today my rbta split and personally, I don't want to have multiple anemones running around my aquarium. I thought this to be a good excuse to buy, or at least build a new aquarium to put frags and whatnot in (my parents are not super keen on having more aquariums lol). I want a custom aquarium as I can make it to fit the space I want it in, perfectly. Any advice would be fantastic because I'd rather not get hit with a belt if the aquarium fails lol.

And yes I know it would be better to ask a company to build one but that would more than likely be more expensive and well, I don't work until the summer so my bank account is starting to look like a desert.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just looking to save some money go with a rubbermaid tote/bin instead of a tank. They're dirt cheap and will never fail.

Or petsmart and petco often times put on a good sale. $10 for 10g tank

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering setting up a frag tank and have a 40G Breeder in mind. Just the right depth and plenty of room for my intentions. Remember you'll need good enough light, heat, water movement, filtration. It's a whole'nuther tank no matter what.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, there is no way I'm going to test and dose two different systems. I've tried running two tanks when I upgraded to a bigger tank, and it did not work out for me. The only way I will have a frag tank is if its plumbed into the existing system, or in the sump itself.

If you're trying to keep the frag tank cheap, you cannot build it for less than the $1 per gallon sale at petco. A 20 long or 40 breeder makes good frag tanks. If specific sizing is more important to you, go to a local glass shop and have them cut some 1/4" glass to your specifications then silicone it together.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back