Any advice on wave makers??

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
I'm trying to make the right decision on a wave maker for my 50gal cube tank. From what I've seen each one has its own pros and cons. Which is best? AC/DC? And not the rock band I'm assuming lol. I love the idea of having the cord on the outside but is the EcoTech my only option cuz um....$$wow$$. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had Ecotech on most of my tanks. With my new tank I was trying to go for a very clean look and didn't want anything on the sides which is where the Ecotechs would have ended up. I decided on the IceCap 2K gyres on a 4ft tank. Both on the back wall. After having them on the tank a couple of months I realized I could adjust each blade to direct flow in different directions. They're both on the back wall near the corners mounted vertically. Both have the top blades pointed at the front center of the tank. One has the bottom blade facing forward and the bottom blade on the other one is pointed across the back behind the rocks. They're really like having two in one. And for $209 you get tons of flow.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 50g cube isn't a whole lot to width. I think creating a wave would be difficult in limited space.

Any typical powerhead shaped like a barrel IMO wouldn't work in that limited space.

I would exclusively look at the long bar styles that roll the water.... like this one:

20200802_094149.jpg

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had Ecotech on most of my tanks. With my new tank I was trying to go for a very clean look and didn't want anything on the sides which is where the Ecotechs would have ended up. I decided on the IceCap 2K gyres on a 4ft tank. Both on the back wall. After having them on the tank a couple of months I realized I could adjust each blade to direct flow in different directions. They're both on the back wall near the corners mounted vertically. Both have the top blades pointed at the front center of the tank. One has the bottom blade facing forward and the bottom blade on the other one is pointed across the back behind the rocks. They're really like having two in one. And for $209 you get tons of flow.
Thanks I'll check them out!

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only one choice if you want cords out of the water. Vortech. If you are ok with used, there are some selling in the sell forum. Sometimes you'll be lucky to get them cheap
I'll def look to see whats available thanks

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 50g cube isn't a whole lot to width. I think creating a wave would be difficult in limited space.

Any typical powerhead shaped like a barrel IMO wouldn't work in that limited space.

I would exclusively look at the long bar styles that roll the water.... like this one:

20200802_094149.jpg
I saw this style too but I thought the opposite, that this would be too big for my small tank lol I'm going to read more about this style now. Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back