any advice

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have never kept rock flowers, so I do not know the extent of their compatibility with aquarium fish first hand, and I do not think clowns are particularly attracted to rock flowers - but from what I have heard from others and read online, the rock flower anemones can potentially eat anything that touches them, which makes them live peacefully in tanks for years, only to randomly eat a fish that brushes up against it.
So I have the impression that it depends highly on how they are placed in the tank and if the fishes can move around the territory easily without getting into contact with the rock flowers. But do not take my word for it since I have no personal experience with the topic.
Hmmm, not doubting you, but my RFA moved around and settled right where the mandrins hang out. Mandrins are still doing great.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, not doubting you, but my RFA moved around and settled right where the mandrins hang out. Mandrins are still doing great.

Sure, I also think it might be dependent on the individual setup. I have one friend who had to move around some rockwork because a few fish kept being pushed up against a particular corner (because of how the currents moved around the rockwork right there), and I am thinking that perhaps people who lost fish to rock flowers, actually had some unseen problem with the currents in their tanks. Or, the fishes could ofc. have become weakened by old age first, leading up to the flowers eating them. Either way rock flowers are beautiful and not a big problem in hobby tanks, otherwise more people would mention having problems with them.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six RFA,s they have never caused any problems in at least the last 4 years to anything in my DT.
This one loves my clam, been there a year now.
F0601314-2F7E-4D08-9707-604D54462716.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Uncle99 Where do you get your stock from if you don't mind me asking?
I don’t mind at all.
Mostly all came from Big Als, I have 5 within 40 minutes, except
the SPS and Acros come from FragBox.
Not much out there at the moment, nobody wants to invest in new stuff while the stay at home order is in effect.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, thanks very much.. I got my 2 clowns and firefish from Coral reef shop in Burlington, all my corals and my fire shrimp from new dawn aquaculture in Edmonton. I did get a few snails from FragBox .
Kitchener is the closest Big Als to me and the last time I went in there it was a bit depressing, everything just looked sad.

Yes, this ridiculous order is becoming tiresome.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking about the (long tentacle) Condylactis :)

Macrodactylas are called Corkscrews where I am from and Condylactis still gets sold to unsuspecting hobbyists under the name "long tentacle anemones". Corkscrews only curl up their tentacles into "corkscrew" shapes under strong currents and many LFS end up calling Macrodactylas for "long tentacle anemones" simply because the corkscrew anemones does not show the classic corkscrew tentacle shape in potential medium to low current conditions in many LFS's tanks.

My Polymnus loves my Macrodactyla Doreensis and they are indeed perfect host anemones. I was even encouraging OP to go for it, since they they are much more hardy then the deep water 'nems ;)
Ah gotcha. That's odd, since I have always known LTAs as Macrodactyla doreensis or related species, whether it was in Australia or the U.S. Like in this report: https://researchonline.jcu.edu.au/52871/1/Wolstenholme and Wallace anemones 2004.pdf

Out of curiosity, whereabouts do you live? I've never heard of a condy referred to as a 'long tentacle anemone'. I mean they can certainly have 'long' tentacles, but I mean there are descriptions, and there are names, and 'long tentacle anemone' for me has always been the name given to M. doreensis.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I have seen the Macrodactylas more commonly be called LTA especially on the internet over the last few years. Honestly I do not know why people do not just call them Macrodactylas:) Oh I'm danish. And sure it is just nicknames but I think that makes it so much more important to avoid the confusing nicks.

Besides "corkscrew", the macrodactylas seems to also often be called sand anemones which seems to cause less misunderstandings, while less informed LFS & hobbyists still often claim that bubblefree BTAs and Condys are LTAs. So with so many different species all being called LTAs, I do not think that nick is useful.

I will make sure to be more specific when I talk about Condys in the future:)

Last edited:

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also doesn’t have to be anemone. Seems they like anything fluffy they can get into. In my old tank the clowns took to frog spawn. Never had any problems with that. I am also looking to get frog spawn in the next tank too and RFA.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back