Any do the "GARF" method any more?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember a few years back this was one of the hot ways to run a reef, I have not seen or heard anything about GARF in a long time..
Following along..

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I mean if you actually look at it the recommended lighting system at the high end is VHOs. While VHO can be used with success there have been many improvements in lighting technology since those were the in lights. The Skimmer they tell you to use is a CPR Bakpak, once again there are much better skimmers on the market. It seems like the system doesn't even use a sump, which I assume the great majority of use these days do.
GARF is just outdated and there have been great improvements in the technology since these were written. It's been what, 15 or 16 years. I'm not knocking them by any means, just that you would be better served looking into some more modern equipment.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea,Its an outdated system and mainly abandoned IMO because its not pretty in its most basic form and its not as easy and plug and play as newer systems. I requires work a jbj cube does not...
This system is also much more heavily reliant on natural filtration than mechanical, thus the smaller skimmers, utilising heavy micro flora and fauna and bacteria as the main forms of filtration. Cyano and diatoms have no chance in that type of system. Thus the "bulletproof". It falls in line with work of ron shimek paul b, the ecosystem method to a point and others of the time. My tanks and reefing style have actually been pretty heavily influenced by all of these and I do hope I can get some GARF grunge before its too late too. With slight modifications it works quite well. The lights skimmers and hardware are pretty easily adapted, the grunge and mud are actually the heart of the system .
Leroy passed away some years ago and Sally Jo and family runs the store now I assume. Some of their coral we all know the names of and are almost legendary in quality, as they really figured out domestication of many species first imported into the country..
pretty cool stuff.

me Id love to see one of these up and running. But I like old stuff and watching peoples faces when I use a film camera.
and mention thats how the stil do it in hollywood for a reason.;)

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the grunge package when I set up from ipsf. I like the added biodiversity but don't prescribe fully to the system. I like the worms, and bacterial life. That said you have to be careful first putting the mud and crud in the tank, it tends to float and, well, muddy up the tank at first.

That said, I go through ipsf instead of garf. And I want to place another order there soon for more worms and pods and stuff like that. Probably not the grunge, it's something you want to do to add to a new sand bed without a ton of flow blowing it into and onto corals and your rocks!

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all the feedback. After doing additional research I am not going to do a full GARF method but rather a modified version. I'll start a new thread with the details of the build this week so no need to follow along here thanks!

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI here is the rock Setup for the 50 G going to install on Fri. Cured rock (not live) and black sand bed. Want to avoid any of the nastier hitchhikers that always seem to come with my live rock.

Went with a "flat top" for the connecting piece to form the cave so I have plenty of space to put coral.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paste the link here for the build when u get one going please, interested for sure. Thanks

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI here is the rock Setup for the 50 G going to install on Fri. Cured rock (not live) and black sand bed. Want to avoid any of the nastier hitchhikers that always seem to come with my live rock.

Went with a "flat top" for the connecting piece to form the cave so I have plenty of space to put coral.

The pic it's locked. Says I don't have the permission... that's a novelty for me. Can you help?

OP
OP
scoopsthedog

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to upload pic again.
IMG_1480981498.114917.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back