Any feedback on new Gen6 blue from user

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running two XR15 Blues on my 4' Peninsula (hybrid setup with 4x T5s.) So far they're doing great. Impressive spread and I love the additional spectrum options.

OP
OP
nly04

nly04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running two XR15 Blues on my 4' Peninsula (hybrid setup with 4x T5s.) So far they're doing great. Impressive spread and I love the additional spectrum options.
Have you try without the T5? I have 5 XR15 Gen6 blue on mine 4ft 150gal and add two Orphrek Or3 bar, but the color is too blue and make my tank look dark. I run all channels at max and intensity at 70%. If I turn off the two Or3 bars, my tank look worse. I have mix reef and my sps does not like them at all. I lost a few mini colonies. Yes, the spread is greater than gen5. I end up switch back to mine old gen5 blue. I lost 25% of the money I invest into these 5 new XR15 Gen6 blue. Still not happy with it.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reason you (hardly) don't see any feedback, despite of tons of G5 owners who sold their lights so they could buy G6, is a lot of regret i think.
G6 is more purpleish looking, has less shimmer and has too much spread, resulting in blinding people sitting on their couches.

I had my G5 for sale too but pulled the ad, gonna keep it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about upgrading my xr15 blue gen 5's but plan to just keep the 5's.
I think the ab+ schedule is a bit flat to my liking. I have tried many different setting and am now fine with the ab+. I run it at 100/40 currently. 100/100 is pretty strong and it browned a few stags but they have recoverd to blue after dropping intensity level to 35% and working up slowly.
I run the diffuser and a shade.
I also run 2 16hds to supplement the blues. This gives me a whiter/brighter look to my system and a good shimmer but not over powering. The xr15's reduce the shimmer to my liking and enhance the look im after.

A friend took a gen5 and a gen6 and powered them up against the wall side by side. The gen6 does have more spread.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you try without the T5? I have 5 XR15 Gen6 blue on mine 4ft 150gal and add two Orphrek Or3 bar, but the color is too blue and make my tank look dark. I run all channels at max and intensity at 70%. If I turn off the two Or3 bars, my tank look worse. I have mix reef and my sps does not like them at all. I lost a few mini colonies. Yes, the spread is greater than gen5. I end up switch back to mine old gen5 blue. I lost 25% of the money I invest into these 5 new XR15 Gen6 blue. Still not happy with it.
Shame you aren't enjoying them, but I understand your issue. I don't like the idea of running just one type of light system and I think a hybrid is the best of both worlds. My T5s are only on half the photo period, with the G6s on the whole time. So far things are going well with growth for my new acros. I'll eventually get one more xr15 as well to really solidify the par output.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back