Any guesses what these are?

xCROv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are kinda all over the tank. They don't seem to be doing anything wrong, not sure if they are filter feeders or what. They look attached to the rock at one end and flail around until something touches them. I've seen them bump into the rock and grab on, they then let go (tail still attached) and will shrink a bit before expanding out to flail around in the flow.

They're about an inch long and only seem to attach to non-glass hard surfaces like my rocks.

PXL_20231110_211340767.MP~2.jpg PXL_20231110_212452792.MP~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231110_211337107.LS.mp4
    2.5 MB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like hydroids but the movement you describe isn't typical for those?

OP
OP
X

xCROv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like hydroids but the movement you describe isn't typical for those?
Think you're actually right. I thought hydroids were not as thing and long like this but I think they're actually digitate hydroids.

Possibly these.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you're actually right. I thought hydroids were not as thing and long like this but I think they're actually digitate hydroids.

Possibly these.
Post 8 in that thread says they will go away, and feed lightly to starve the little filter feeders. I wonder if using a flocculant (can't remember what people DYI on here for that) would also be helpful. I had them many years ago, different kind and they dissappeared quickly.

OP
OP
X

xCROv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post 8 in that thread says they will go away, and feed lightly to starve the little filter feeders. I wonder if using a flocculant (can't remember what people DYI on here for that) would also be helpful. I had them many years ago, different kind and they dissappeared quickly.
I'm wondering if it's worth worrying a ton about if they're not causing any issues so far. Probably going to just keep an eye on them and address them if they end up causing any other problems to the rest of the tank. They get a pass for now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back