Digitate hydroids spreading. What to do?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Fluval edge 6g nano that's been up and running about 5 weeks now. No fish, just CUC and random hitchhikers.
I noticed the first couple of d.hydroids a couple weeks ago isolated to one rock. They have since spread to most of the other rocks. Not infestation levels yet, but a good 6-7 that I can see per rock.
Researching this topic, you can find lots of conflicting information (imagine that ;)) about the risk or lack of risk they pose to a tank.
People say they can/will kill a tank. Others say they go away on their own if you ignore them. Some say they pose a threat to fish/corals, others disagree.

Does anyone have experience dealing with these things?
Are they a threat?
Most effective removal method?

IMG_4214copy.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would begin by using a very good mechanical filter. (sponge reactor etc)

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you know where these strands are coming from you could try smothering them with some epoxy. It would kind of be like putting a piece of bubble gum under a table.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would begin by using a very good mechanical filter. (sponge reactor etc)
There's not a lot of real estate in the tank, and I'm running without sump. Is there one you'd recommend? I'm using ac20 atm.

If you think you know where these strands are coming from you could try smothering them with some epoxy. It would kind of be like putting a piece of bubble gum under a table.
they are small so it's going to be kind of hard, but it's probably my best bet. What epoxy should I use?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind what a reactor or is or has in common. It paases wter throug either chem media or a strainer(floss)
Look at this example. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-Re...ilter-Phosphate-Nitrate-Reactor-/401052111409

the pump in the tank pulls water into the bottom, through the media and out the top back into the tank. so you could shop for a small self standing "reactor" and use a tiny 12v dc pump.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-3m-24...2c426bbb2fb2de554800bd&pid=100507&rk=1&rkt=1&
My AQ 70 is actually running on one right now as a hob refugium.:confused:

Also check or repack the AQ floss so you get better mecf filtration. I put a little floss on the outlet. Biggest prob I find with AQs on reef tanks is if it doesn't pull out a lotta gunk its not working quite right.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yea, manual removal, reduce food source.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind what a reactor or is or has in common. It paases wter throug either chem media or a strainer(floss)
Look at this example. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-Re...ilter-Phosphate-Nitrate-Reactor-/401052111409

the pump in the tank pulls water into the bottom, through the media and out the top back into the tank. so you could shop for a small self standing "reactor" and use a tiny 12v dc pump.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-3m-240L-H-Ultra-Quiet-Brushless-Motor-Submersible-Pool-Water-Pump-Solar/122467936746?_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226&_trkparms=aid=555014&algo=PL.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=41376&meid=8d5f73b4b72c426bbb2fb2de554800bd&pid=100507&rk=1&rkt=1&
My AQ 70 is actually running on one right now as a hob refugium.:confused:

Also check or repack the AQ floss so you get better mecf filtration. I put a little floss on the outlet. Biggest prob I find with AQs on reef tanks is if it doesn't pull out a lotta gunk its not working quite right.
Excellent. Thanks for the info and links!

Last edited:

fishflipper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them for about a year now. I have done a lot of research on them and it seems there is only one way to get rid of them and that is using fenbendazole. Manual removal is not an option because you will never get all of them. I have not seen any negative affects to my corals or fish. They do not go away on there own as many have suggested. I do see the population go up and down over time. They are filter feeders so if you feed the tank a lot they will multiply faster. i have not tried the fenbendazole treatment yet as i have not had any negative affects from them. The biggest thing that bothers me I have to be very careful on what I trade to other reefers so I don't spread them.

https://www.amazon.com/Bendazole-250mg-Fenbendazole-Powder-packets/dp/B009TAQ4OI

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/here-it-is-fenbendazole-use-against-hydroids.214950/

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for providing some additional information. I have no fish in the tank at this point so I haven't fed the tank at all. If food isn't fueling their proliferation, what is?

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had those hydroids before also and they annoyed my corals. Nothing I attempted seemed to get rid of them. What appears to correlate with their disappearance in my tanks was the inadvertent addition of limpets. It could be coincidence that when I got limpets, the hydroids disappeared. For the most part, the limpets graze on algae on the glass and rocks, and they multiply like bunnies.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never noticed any damage from them but I've noticed them irritate coral occasionally (zoas and acros). My population has decreased to just a few random ones since I started using filter socks. Could be coincidence though.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get the hydroids taken care of, or did they end up not being harmful? Seems like most people say their hydroid population takes care of itself for some unknown reason.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get the hydroids taken care of, or did they end up not being harmful? Seems like most people say their hydroid population takes care of itself for some unknown reason.
Yeah, there were a ton and then they just faded away over time. Never caused a real issue other than being an eye sore.

fishflipper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not go away on their own. It may seem like they are gone but they are still there. Look in your tank in the morning with the lights still off using a flashlight. I'll bet you still see them.

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread... Any tips on getting rid of these things? Had one pop up in a zoa colony and its irritating them enough that they have closed up around it. Tried manual removal and it retracted back in before my fingers even got close...

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look at this thread

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets (mine came as hitchhikers and reproduce) have taken care of any hydroids I had in the early days. I make sure to have at least a couple in every tank.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread... Any tips on getting rid of these things? Had one pop up in a zoa colony and its irritating them enough that they have closed up around it. Tried manual removal and it retracted back in before my fingers even got close...

Bend over and kiss your tail goodbye...These things are the DEVIL
Limpets (mine came as hitchhikers and reproduce) have taken care of any hydroids I had in the early days. I make sure to have at least a couple in every tank.

Never heard of this before. I may have to try this out.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had these for a while I wanted to keep them but I had no idea what they were they destroyed one of my zoas so I moved it and it eventually died or moved to the sump where I can't find it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back