Any idea what creature is?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay so im pretty sure i saw a white circle around its body near its head so i think it might be a

Eunice valens​

which only grows to about 20cm
or i could be wrong cause i think its tentacles are dark/black colored but i gotta admit the colors this guy has which shines in all colors like a rainbow is nice too look at.

20221228_093248.jpg
Have you noticed any empty snail shells on the ground around the cave? My gut would tell me this guy isn’t safe for your inverts (or possibly coral), especially if it has the iridescent colors.

OP
OP
kjkszpj9

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any empty snail shells on the ground around the cave? My gut would tell me this guy isn’t safe for your inverts (or possibly coral), especially if it has the iridescent colors.
No, havent seen any snail shells around the main holes at all except the shells that came in the live sand bag.

OP
OP
kjkszpj9

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not kidding guys but in the same rock i saw another worm that looked exactly the same as the other one only this one is much smaller than yhe other one, its body was like a little more than half the size of the first one. It lives here in the hole above the biggest one and it peeked out the really small hole next to the white sand piece
20230109_181908.jpg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not kidding guys but in the same rock i saw another worm that looked exactly the same as the other one only this one is much smaller than yhe other one, its body was like a little more than half the size of the first one. It lives here in the hole above the biggest one and it peeked out the really small hole next to the white sand piece
20230109_181908.jpg
The mysteries that rock holds inside! I had to break a rock apart to retrieve a mantis shrimp and it was amazing how many other critters were in the holes and crevices that I never noticed.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230109_181908.jpg
Omg! Get rid of all the rock and sand and start over

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eunicid, yes. Bobbit, no. No need to panic.
Yea right. Soon as I seen him go in a rock I'd throw the whole rock out the door. I can't even stand the bristle worms if I seen one of them in any of my tanks bye bye worm whatever ur name is

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea right. Soon as I seen him go in a rock I'd throw the whole rock out the door. I can't even stand the bristle worms if I seen one of them in any of my tanks bye bye worm whatever ur name is
Then you don't really want a reef tank, just an aquarium with coral and fish?

The ecosystem is the most fascinating part of the hobby!

OP
OP
kjkszpj9

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a pest trap for bristle worms but caught nothing, i guess they are pretty smart but then i also didnt catch any of the normal bristleworms either just a darn amphipod :D

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you don't really want a reef tank, just an aquarium with coral and fish?

The ecosystem is the most fascinating part of the hobby!
I thought an aquarium with coral and fish was the literal definition of a reef tank. Sorry nothing fascinating to me about that nasty worm. Maybe he'll catch it for you so you can put it in your tank and be fascinated. Don't get me wrong, that's why I love staring at my tank(s) like a ****** for hours. The relationship that every little creature has with each other in our handmade little ecosystems.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a pest trap for bristle worms but caught nothing, i guess they are pretty smart but then i also didnt catch any of the normal bristleworms either just a darn amphipod :D
Why wouldn't you just swap out the rock and sand for new rock and sand?. The tank looks like a nano in the pics. I have an unopened bag of Fiji pink and some dried liverock if u need it

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ocean-collected live rock is expensive, and comes with a lot of benefits you don't get on dry rock. This guy's no big deal- he's catchable. Dinoflagellates aren't catchable to remove, and a lack of maturity and beneficial scavengers isn't catchable to remove.

Approaching reefkeeping from the angle of a phobia, rather than an angle of logic, isn't the best plan. There's nothing wrong with phobias (I've got a couple myself), but we have to remember not to let our lizard brain impulses win out.

A worm trap likely won't work on that guy unless it's put right by his burrow. Might try luring him out with shrimp and grabbing him out with tongs. Be sure to figure out how you're going to euthanize him- clove oil sedation is good, and you should have clove oil on hand anyway for potential sick/injured fish that are past the point of no return. He might be a creepy little cuss, but that's not his fault, and he didn't choose to be here.

OP
OP
kjkszpj9

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually found a third eunice worm in one of my other rock, this one was more orange redish and i saw it kill and start eating the chiton hitchhiker ive had since i started my aquarium, i pulled out the rock put it in water for 5 min but nothing came out so i decided it was HAMMER TIME and smashed the rock and ended up with 3 rocks and the bugger was pretty much dead when i pulled it out, this is what it looked like and it was a whopping 14cm long, im leaving the 2 other worms for now cause they havent really done anything bad yet and they are a different species im sure. heres a pic of the buggar.

Attachments

• 20230120_120632.jpg
    20230120_120632.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230120_121706.jpg
    20230120_121706.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 29

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for the bio diversity in my tank......but if there's any of these I don't want to know!!
Dont Look Laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Danny G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have it in the tank? Can try to setup a trap for it. YouTube has some solid videos of people making their own traps. I have personally not had the issue with one of these yet but I would try and get this one out of the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back