Any idea what these are? Pest ID?

Reefin' Alaska

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2020
Messages
303
Reaction score
134
Location
Anchorage
What state or country do you live in
Alaska
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a feeling these are destroying my Stylo/Monti..

20240829_075803.jpg 20240829_075811.jpg
 
Fuzzy Chiton?
 
Those are amphipods; I have heard in some cases of them going after corals, but it's quite rare unless the coral is unhealthy in some way already:
Yeah, every now and then I see posts about amphipods eating corals - interestingly, I haven't been able to find any scholarly articles describing corallivory in amphipods, but it seems there's a good chance it's a legitimate thing.

Nocturnal invert eaters like some wrasses are a good choice - you could also try things like some species of cardinalfish if you wanted, but they probably wouldn't be as aggressive as some of the "pest control" wrasses about eating them.
 
It looks like amphipods to me.
 
They look like pods. They came for the meal of dying coral.

Pic of tank.
Got flow?
Got lights?
Parameters?

I tested last night, parameters are all steady as they have been for months.


Nit - 12
Phos - .06
Cal 480
Alk 8.89
Mag 1299

Pretty standard for a while now. I'm losing a monti and stylo. I have a frag of the same Monti on the opposite side of my tank doing perfectly fine. No issues with Acros/Goni or Zoa's.

I confess I've never had much success with Stylo, always seems to grow like a weed then flesh from the bottom up starts to almost peel away. Never been able to figure it out. I just noticed those on it in the dark on Tuesday. Also found 1 on the base of the monti that is struggling.
 
I tested last night, parameters are all steady as they have been for months.


Nit - 12
Phos - .06
Cal 480
Alk 8.89
Mag 1299

Pretty standard for a while now. I'm losing a monti and stylo. I have a frag of the same Monti on the opposite side of my tank doing perfectly fine. No issues with Acros/Goni or Zoa's.

I confess I've never had much success with Stylo, always seems to grow like a weed then flesh from the bottom up starts to almost peel away. Never been able to figure it out. I just noticed those on it in the dark on Tuesday. Also found 1 on the base of the monti that is struggling.
Flow and lights(par/spectrum) are as important as parameters.

One side of the tank could have nice flow and the other lacking.
 
Flow and lights(par/spectrum) are as important as parameters.

One side of the tank could have nice flow and the other lacking.

Guess it's something to look into, 4 MP40's on a 5 ft tank, there doesn't seem to be any dead spots. Guess maybe they just don't like being there. Lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new