Any idea why my CA keeps rising ?

dnjude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open Ext_100's dashboard.png.jpg

Hello ,
I am going through the process of trying to stabilize my system. And have moved from Kalkwasser in my ATO to dosing Soda Ash in small amounts [10 ML] every 2 hours. I am trying to get my Alk and PH up above base levels [I think I have a lot of CO in my basement where the tank is , so PH is always a challenge. ] What I cannot understand is if I am only dosing Soda Ash , how is my CA still steadily rising ? Can anyone suggest ? I have a 110 G estimated water volume , low load [two fish and about 20 frags ] . And I do not dos anything else. I do a 10% water change once a week. And I ATO with RODI.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure, you are dosing alk (in the form of soda ash), but NO calcium at all?

Also have you measured with a kit manually? Or are you strictly going off of your trident?

OP
OP
D

dnjude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the response. I am only using the Trident to. test .
And I am only adding Soda ash for the Alk benefit [and temp PH boost.]

I was [2 weeks ago] using Kalkwasser to attempt to raise the PH, but switched because of CA increases and the huge fluctuations in PH [I use the tunze osmolator with the pump turned down , but it still was large doses ] .

The only other thing I have added is Pink Fusion [ which I am sure would have some CA impact.] but that was almost a week ago , so I dont understand why that would continue to drive up CA .

Nothing else added except RODI ATO. and Reef Chilli/Mysis.

Screenshot 2020-09-22_11-49-36-872.jpg

OP
OP
D

dnjude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked twice a day 1.025 using a refractomiter and stable , no change over the last month at least

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks have trouble with these automated measuring devices, especially when reagent gets old or starts to run out.

Assuming that's not the case, and you are not topping off with tap water, then you likely as just not seeing much demand for each calcium or alkalinity, and the doses alk is not consuming much calcium.

I cannot tell how much calcium has actually risen, but 510 ppm is fine.

OP
OP
D

dnjude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks , I will monitor it for a few days and see if things do infact stabilize.

deahttub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try new calibration fluid. I bought some thinking it was 1.026 and after sending water for icp testing, i saw it was 1.028...

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What time period are we looking at? I just see a graph with nothing to tell us what the X axis is. Years or seconds?

OP
OP
D

dnjude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What time period are we looking at? I just see a graph with nothing to tell us what the X axis is. Years or seconds?
Good question , I am not sure how I would get that to show on the Trident but it would be useful .
The timeframe I am referring to is about the last week and is the last 3 obvious increments. During that period I have added nothing but Soda Ash and so thats what has me scratching my head on the CA increasing. I am calibrating the trident now so I will post what I find.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back