Any interesting fish to add??

ShepBReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 29g with a 10g sump. I would like to add some more fish and am debating what to add. I'm trying to create a community reef with hardy corals/fish.

Current stock:
2 oscellaris
1 scarlet cleaner shrimp
2 pajama cardinals (had 3 but they killed 1)
1 RBTA
1 YWG
-a few zooas/ candy cane corals

Various fish I have thought about: chalk bass, a royal gramma (had one but RBTA ate it), flame angel (don't know if I could swing it), midas/bicolor blenny, ... don't really know what else.
I'm not crazy about chromis.

I am new to the hobby- about 3-4mos in. I would like to add interesting fish with color/movement/personality/mostly reef safe and not going to kill eachother (wife would hate that) and not break the bank.

Totally open to suggestions and appreciate the input! I've been a r2r stalker for a while and you guys are awesome!

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Blenny are hilarious. Others you could consider is a long nose hawkfish, springeri damsel, curious wormfish (if you can find one), Tanaka possum wrasse, or a hector or rainford goby (these are fun and eat algae and sift sand).

OP
OP
S

ShepBReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blenny are hilarious. Others you could consider is a long nose hawkfish, springeri damsel, curious wormfish (if you can find one), Tanaka possum wrasse, or a hector or rainford goby (these are fun and eat algae and sift sand).
These are great ideas! Do you think the long nose hawkfish would try to eat my feather dusters or cleaner shrimp? The curious wormfish is a pretty cool looking fish. Would the rainford goby get along with my YWG?

Thank you for your input!

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
These are great ideas! Do you think the long nose hawkfish would try to eat my feather dusters or cleaner shrimp? The curious wormfish is a pretty cool looking fish. Would the rainford goby get along with my YWG?

Thank you for your input!
Hawkfish will leave your cleaner shrimp alone, not sure about feather dusters, I've never had one. Rainford would be fine with the ywg, I have both of those in my 10g frag tank.

Curious wormfish seem to be collected based on some seasonality. My LFS got them in and I had no idea what they were, went home did some research and realized they'd be fine in my 32g and went back and they were sold out. They were only $30 and super cool.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 29g with a 10g sump. I would like to add some more fish and am debating what to add. I'm trying to create a community reef with hardy corals/fish.

Current stock:
2 oscellaris
1 scarlet cleaner shrimp
1 RBTA
1 YWG

Various fish I have thought about: chalk bass, a royal gramma (had one but RBTA ate it), flame angel (don't know if I could swing it), midas/bicolor blenny, ... don't really know what else.

I am new to the hobby- about 3-4mos in. I would like to add interesting fish with color/movement/personality/mostly reef safe and not going to kill eachother (wife would hate that) and not break the bank.

Totally open to suggestions and appreciate the input! I've been a r2r stalker for a while and you guys are awesome!
I guess it's personal choice, altough your kinda restricted to your aquarium size along with complexity's of maintaining a small aquarium.
My friend has a small aquarium and it's full of torches, it honestly looks beautiful everything just swaying and growing

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's personal choice, altough your kinda restricted to your aquarium size along with complexity's of maintaining a small aquarium.
My friend has a small aquarium and it's full of torches, it honestly looks beautiful everything just swaying and growing
So many variations of aquarium, find the one that suits you best
:)

IMG_20231021_214211.jpg

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current stock:
2 oscellaris
1 scarlet cleaner shrimp
1 RBTA
1 YWG

I have the same tank/sump , I have gone through different groups of fish. I'd ditch the pair of clowns, they will become more and more aggressive the older they get and the more they breed and take more and more of the tank as their territory. I currently have a single clown, a single chromis, a flasher wrasse, a bi color blenny and a mandarin. By far my chilliest group yet. I had a pair of breeding clowns and boy did that not work long term. I'd swap the bi color for an algae or tailspot blenny (mine bits all my corals) . I used to have a valentini puffer that was cool too but he went carpet surfing unfortunately. I'd highly suggest the flasher wrasse, very cool and pretty chill fish. I like the chromis, not very interactive but fun to feed. The mandarin is a real dice roll, I've had 2 wild mandarins, first I got on pellets lasted a year, fat as a pig but my clowns started bullying him and died of seemingly a heart attack or stress. The second I got on pellets too but doesn't seem to eat as aggressively as the first.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So many variations of aquarium, find the one that suits you best
:)

IMG_20231021_214211.jpg
29 gallons with a sump is enough room to do whatever coral wise. I think the main question was fish, but I have a fluval 32 gallon mixed reef that has been up for 2 years and I added corals in the first month that I still have.

This is my tank from earlier this year

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gallons with a sump is enough room to do whatever coral wise. I think the main question was fish, but I have a fluval 32 gallon mixed reef that has been up for 2 years and I added corals in the first month that I still have.

Great .. I only see 2 fish in your video. Lots of stuff in your aquarium except fish.
I will definitely disregard this OP

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the same tank/sump , I have gone through different groups of fish. I'd ditch the pair of clowns, they will become more and more aggressive the older they get and the more they breed and take more and more of the tank as their territory. I currently have a single clown, a single chromis, a flasher wrasse, a bi color blenny and a mandarin. By far my chilliest group yet. I had a pair of breeding clowns and boy did that not work long term. I'd swap the bi color for an algae or tailspot blenny (mine bits all my corals) . I used to have a valentini puffer that was cool too but he went carpet surfing unfortunately. I'd highly suggest the flasher wrasse, very cool and pretty chill fish. I like the chromis, not very interactive but fun to feed. The mandarin is a real dice roll, I've had 2 wild mandarins, first I got on pellets lasted a year, fat as a pig but my clowns started bullying him and died of seemingly a heart attack or stress. The second I got on pellets too but doesn't seem to eat as aggressively as the first.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, create a post about it and figure out why all was lost in your hands? I have a mandarin that's 5 years old.. others longer, each individual aquriam is so different, even wavemakers die

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Weird, create a post about it and figure out why all was lost in your hands? I have a mandarin that's 5 years old.. others longer, each individual aquriam is so different, even wavemakers die
I mean I still have them, they were just camera shy in the video. All are fat and happy. My mandarin is a year and a half old in my tank, but it was wild caught and a little bigger when I got her. I have soooo many pods that she looks like she is carrying eggs, she's that fat.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very successful aquarium.. what do you feed

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A very successful aquarium.. what do you feed
Basic dosing of All For Reef, using Aquaforest Bio Salt, need to add a little mag to it when much or add a little mag mid week because All for Reef is low in it. 5g water change weekly. I only have one doser and AFR is it, 16ml a day to keep alk stable at 7.8 right now, I shoot for 7.5-8.

Food is mysis once a day, and TDO pellets or flakes for the other feeding with selcon mixed in.

For corals, I culture my own Tetra and Nanno phyto and dose several ounces a day. Aquavitro fuel, KZ FW stop (new to this as a preventative), KZ Coral vitalizer are daily adds. Randomly feed LPs corals with some powder food mixed in which I rotate from benepets, reef roids, BRS reef chili, or coral feast and either Fauna Marin LPs pellets or Benepets LPs pellets.

No sump since it is an all in one, but I do have a skimmer with a CO2 scrubber attached. Filter chambers are carbon and chemipure blue. Media is maxspect biobrick and bioballs with a few bags of Aquaforest Life media.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic dosing of All For Reef, using Aquaforest Bio Salt, need to add a little mag to it when much or add a little mag mid week because All for Reef is low in it. 5g water change weekly. I only have one doser and AFR is it, 16ml a day to keep alk stable at 7.8 right now, I shoot for 7.5-8.

Food is mysis once a day, and TDO pellets or flakes for the other feeding with selcon mixed in.

For corals, I culture my own Tetra and Nanno phyto and dose several ounces a day. Aquavitro fuel, KZ FW stop (new to this as a preventative), KZ Coral vitalizer are daily adds. Randomly feed LPs corals with some powder food mixed in which I rotate from benepets, reef roids, BRS reef chili, or coral feast and either Fauna Marin LPs pellets or Benepets LPs pellets.

No sump since it is an all in one, but I do have a skimmer with a CO2 scrubber attached. Filter chambers are carbon and chemipure blue. Media is maxspect biobrick and bioballs with a few bags of Aquaforest Life media.
Weird as you have no fish to feed ? Everything died, are you seriously promoting. Your disregard to genuine help?.

AHH, I gotcha covered :)

OP
OP
S

ShepBReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish will leave your cleaner shrimp alone, not sure about feather dusters, I've never had one. Rainford would be fine with the ywg, I have both of those in my 10g frag tank.

Curious wormfish seem to be collected based on some seasonality. My LFS got them in and I had no idea what they were, went home did some research and realized they'd be fine in my 32g and went back and they were sold out. They were only $30 and super cool.
Gotcha... yeah man they are super cool looking!

OP
OP
S

ShepBReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word. Smaller tanks definitely are limiting but I like the ease of maintenance that comes with them. That's unfortunate about the clowns... I like good ole' oscellaris clowns... I'll keep my fingers crossed with them. Mandarins are awesome...but I don't know if I would get one solely from the feeding aspect of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back