Any rockwork tips and feedback?

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only just got some new rocks and haven’t secured anything, I’m trying to get a look that will be cool and make all the fish happy. Any feedback would be appreciated! IMG_2231.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2230.mov
    32.3 MB

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents here, but I would not change a thing! I think what you have looks great, and the fish will certainly appreciate it. The one thing I can not tell from your photo is how far off all 4 walls you are. You want to leave enough room for cleaning, with magnets, etc. Also, if you ever get a fighting conch, they need at least 3 inches of so they can get around.

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see much but can tell you that I have lots of rock but am quickly running out of area that is vertical or with crannies big enough to hold my frag bases without them still subject to toppling when the Evil Dr. Mehgacrab stomps through.

I once read an aqua scape article on here that had me rearranging my points of the interest to the sides, instead of just mounds with spaces for fish and flat spaces for frags. (Then adjustments had to be made for which coral needed what light, etc.)

Of course, I stumbled upon that article, so couldn't find it again for you, but the key search word was "aquascape".

Have fun setting up... Rearranging... Having it knocked over and rearranged for you! (5-year old grandson like to jump off the bed and shake the house... Don't even start me on the errant basketball!)

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents here, but I would not change a thing! I think what you have looks great, and the fish will certainly appreciate it. The one thing I can not tell from your photo is how far off all 4 walls you are. You want to leave enough room for cleaning, with magnets, etc. Also, if you ever get a fighting conch, they need at least 3 inches of so they can get around.
Yeah it is a bit close I just did some stacking so that I could get a general view, but I’m going to try and make it farther from the back. Thanks !

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see much but can tell you that I have lots of rock but am quickly running out of area that is vertical or with crannies big enough to hold my frag bases without them still subject to toppling when the Evil Dr. Mehgacrab stomps through.

I once read an aqua scape article on here that had me rearranging my points of the interest to the sides, instead of just mounds with spaces for fish and flat spaces for frags. (Then adjustments had to be made for which coral needed what light, etc.)

Of course, I stumbled upon that article, so couldn't find it again for you, but the key search word was "aquascape".

Have fun setting up... Rearranging... Having it knocked over and rearranged for you! (5-year old grandson like to jump off the bed and shake the house... Don't even start me on the errant basketball!)
Hmm yeah I’ll try tinker with it a bit more, I don’t have access to a lot of rock but I definitely want ample space for any coral I get in the future. Thanks !

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm yeah I’ll try tinker with it a bit more, I don’t have access to a lot of rock but I definitely want ample space for any coral I get in the future. Thanks !
That was my biggest mistake. Now some of the corals have grown off the frags and onto the rocks, so I can't do much about turning them. Good luck. If one thing is certain... A tank is NEVER complete!!

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to do this and have the rocks have as many gaps as possible for the fish! As I get more rocks I might fill in the left and right of the middle rock structure if it looks good. Thanks for the advice y’all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 5

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back