Any suggestion for coral placement on this Aquascape?

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m going to be starting with coral in 1-2 weeks and Im looking for advice on coral placement. Im not that familiar with coral types or growth patterns, and don’t want to have some early on mistake effect the end game.

I’m undecided to adding additional rocks to the sand bed as I do like minimalist look of the arch. I’ll be starting with zoas though and unsure if it’s wise to put them on the arch, and if so, I’m not sure where. I’ll for sure be doing LPS down the road and maybe some SPS in the few higher up, high flow areas.

Advice welcome!

CF63C578-E5E4-4854-A11C-BE06881ACB61.jpeg 01A020C1-97D3-4D3C-983F-FDFD8FDC64C2.jpeg 699E7DD4-54F3-4B9D-85E4-7FB2D3D3FA55.jpeg 28BA62A3-9AC3-4A95-8308-B72A11840DE3.jpeg E77E1344-FF2B-481D-BAD9-06AE5495477F.jpeg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar build in my 20g setup i went with zoas on plugs in the sand for now so they dont overgrow anything while i wait for sps maturity of the tank. Also have a couple test hammers in a couple areas chalice blastos and then some gonis on sand as well....great scape got some good levels.
20231019_160600.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar build in my 20g setup i went with zoas on plugs in the sand for now so they dont overgrow anything while i wait for sps maturity of the tank. Also have a couple test hammers in a couple areas chalice blastos and then some gonis on sand as well....great scape got some good levels.
20231019_160600.jpg

Yours looks really good! Can you tell me a bit more about leaving the zoa on the plugs? How would you go about getting them off one day? Or would you leave them on and just glue the entire plug? And do the zoas grow off the plug into the sand bed?

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks really good! Can you tell me a bit more about leaving the zoa on the plugs? How would you go about getting them off one day? Or would you leave them on and just glue the entire plug? And do the zoas grow off the plug into the sand bed?
Yep, can just leave them on the plug and glue them to the rocks. I like to bust the little nub off the bottom when I do it. I've never had any zoas grow onto the sand bed.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have matted out here is a pic of that
20231009_114056.jpg

I let them overgrow the plug snip the plug bottom off so it a flat disc and glue to rock work if thats where you want it. It takes longer for it to mat out and slows down growth (for me at least) so i leave in sand until i find final placement. I have always said to myself that it makes it easier to frag them and also makes it better then having one rock full of zoas before anything else can grow how I want it to Lol. They can grow fast when they have the real estate to. (Rock or objects to mat across) the sand isnt stationary so it takes longer to to push out once it fills the plug. These watermelon zoas are a very fast grower when put on rock or something stationary the sand has helped keep them at a better pace while things mature.

OP
OP
S

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have matted out here is a pic of that
20231009_114056.jpg

I let them overgrow the plug snip the plug bottom off so it a flat disc and glue to rock work if thats where you want it. It takes longer for it to mat out and slows down growth (for me at least) so i leave in sand until i find final placement. I have always said to myself that it makes it easier to frag them and also makes it better then having one rock full of zoas before anything else can grow how I want it to Lol. They can grow fast when they have the real estate to. (Rock or objects to mat across) the sand isnt stationary so it takes longer to to push out once it fills the plug. These watermelon zoas are a very fast grower when put on rock or something stationary the sand has helped keep them at a better pace while things mature.

Looks great. That might be my best plan of action, lay them all out on plugs in the sand while I learn how to care and branch into different corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back