Any suggestions for a chiller

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Florida and have lots of Windows in my house and I think that is one main reason for my loss of anemones recently. I have one that is bleached right now and ik my perimeters r ok and my lights r more than powerful enough so I think I need a chiller but absolutely can’t spend $400 for a chiller. I am gonna just use a bag of ice for now and c how that goes but I will need a more permanent solution. Any suggestions? I can pay probably $100 maybe a little more but preferably not more than that as I am a student

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?
On a smaller tank you might be able to get away with a peltier chiller.

What’s your high temp?
Fans can also do a lot to cool down if the lights are causing the increase.

Try searching local forums for used stuff, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a chiller in the $100 range.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?
On a smaller tank you might be able to get away with a peltier chiller.

What’s your high temp?
Fans can also do a lot to cool down if the lights are causing the increase.

Try searching local forums for used stuff, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a chiller in the $100 range.
72g
Temp is about 84 degrees
I will try to search some websites thx

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72g
Temp is about 84 degrees
I will try to search some websites thx

84 shouldn’t bother anemones if the temp doesn’t stay that high all the time.

I would start with fans to disperse the heat from your lights and see if that gets you a few degrees down. You can also try pointing fans to water. Usually fans can cool down 3-4 degrees.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
84 shouldn’t bother anemones if the temp doesn’t stay that high all the time.

I would start with fans to disperse the heat from your lights and see if that gets you a few degrees down. You can also try pointing fans to water. Usually fans can cool down 3-4 degrees.
I have LEDs that don't produce ANY heat and this is my only logical conclusion as to y my nems are always bleached. Peramiters r perfect and all to that normally effects nems.
So u r saying I can just blow regular fans on it and that could help?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LEDs that don't produce ANY heat and this is my only logical conclusion as to y my nems are always bleached. Peramiters r perfect and all to that normally effects nems.
So u r saying I can just blow regular fans on it and that could help?

What kind of LEDs? LEDs adequate for reefs and nems will produce heat, usually less than T5 and definitely less than MH but there’s heat.

you could try placing a regular fan across the length of your tank and have it run for a day to see if that helps with temp. Then can buy more visually appealing smaller fans that will disperse the heat.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the temperature inside of the house? I keep my house in FL at 74 degrees and have no need for a chiller. Do you have a canopy or anything else that could be retaining the heat in the tank? 84 degrees seems high with an LED light, even if you run a lot of equipment.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the temperature inside of the house? I keep my house in FL at 74 degrees and have no need for a chiller. Do you have a canopy or anything else that could be retaining the heat in the tank? 84 degrees seems high with an LED light, even if you run a lot of equipment.
My house is at about the same 72-71 at night and 73-75 during the day. I also have a glass canopy.
What kind of LEDs? LEDs adequate for reefs and nems will produce heat, usually less than T5 and definitely less than MH but there’s heat.

you could try placing a regular fan across the length of your tank and have it run for a day to see if that helps with temp. Then can buy more visually appealing smaller fans that will disperse the heat.
I have 2 fluval aquasky LEDs and a compact if I need it but because that puts off a lot of heat I don't like to use it. The nem never seems to not have enough light though. My lfs said it was enough to support a nem.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is at about the same 72-71 at night and 73-75 during the day. I also have a glass canopy.

I have 2 fluval aquasky LEDs and a compact if I need it but because that puts off a lot of heat I don't like to use it. The nem never seems to not have enough light though. My lfs said it was enough to support a nem.

Glass canopy? That could be trapping heat.

FWIW those lights are likely not enough at 20-30w power for a nem, you need about 150-200 par for an average bubble tip and I don’t think those lights would get anywhere near that. Are you feeding your nem?

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tempature remains consistent always with noatter the outside or inside temp or if I put in

FWIW those lights are likely not enough at 20-30w power for a nem, you need about 150-200 par for an average bubble tip and I don’t think those lights would get anywhere near that. Are you feeding your nem?
yeah once or twice a week I can use the compacts and that should be more than enough light but it let's out a good amount of heat... Like I said I do have 2 lights and the are 25,000K each. Is there a way to test the par?

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tempature remains consistent always with noatter the outside or inside temp or if I put in

yeah once or twice a week I can use the compacts and that should be more than enough light but it let's out a good amount of heat... Like I said I do have 2 lights and the are 25,000K each. Is there a way to test the par?
*no matter

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo! I would attribute the heat issue due to the glass canopy. I would either remove it, prop it up and have a fan blow underneath it, or get/build a mesh top.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo! I would attribute the heat issue due to the glass canopy. I would either remove it, prop it up and have a fan blow underneath it, or get/build a mesh top.
Ok I will give that a try thx

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fan should get the job done. Blow it over an open top. I am not talking about some computer fan, even if it is for some bad-butt gaming rig... but I am talking about a Vornado or something that can actually move some air.

Other than that, look used... chillers are usually pennies on the dollar when used.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also when the nem was searching the tank he chose a spot lower in the tank after exploring most of it. I would think that if he needed more light he would have stayed higher up

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back