Any thoughts on a micro frag grow tank?

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 3 gallon tank sitting aside, an extra nano light kit and can pick up a 3 stage in tank filter for $20.

Debating pulling some of my gsp and xenia out and making a micro grow tank with a bunch of random rubble.

One of my local stores does not propagate anything but I could trade for other things I need.

Has anyone else tried something like this?

Figure I can just do weekly water swaps with my reef tank to introduce a stream of nutrients and not add any actual fish to this one.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 3 gallon tank sitting aside, an extra nano light kit and can pick up a 3 stage in tank filter for $20.

Debating pulling some of my gsp and xenia out and making a micro grow tank with a bunch of random rubble.

One of my local stores does not propagate anything but I could trade for other things I need.

Figure I can just do weekly water swaps with my reef tank to introduce a stream of nutrients and not add any actual fish to this one.
I trade in frags with my local fish shop- it is purely a a fun expansion to the hobby for me and there's no money in it what so ever. As for GSP and Xenia; I doubt you will have any profit what so ever :)

Consider what it will cost to set up and run- and then consider why you want to do it! Fun? Profit? Something else?

it can be done though!

OP
OP
Digimes

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trade in frags with my local fish shop- it is purely a a fun expansion to the hobby for me and there's no money in it what so ever. As for GSP and Xenia; I doubt you will have any profit what so ever :)

Consider what it will cost to set up and run- and then consider why you want to do it! Fun? Profit? Something else?

it can be done though!
Not looking to make it a business plan. I thought it would be something to put in my office and cheap/softie corals are not something this store stocks but I could trade it for bottles of test kit solution or some frozen brine. I basically have all the working parts so it would just be a fun project tank more than anything and maybe a talking point for my office. Figured they grow fast and would cover things quickly. I also thought about possible cutting up some mushrooms and letting them grow across the substrate.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking to make it a business plan. I thought it would be something to put in my office and cheap/softie corals are not something this store stocks but I could trade it for bottles of test kit solution or some frozen brine. I basically have all the working parts so it would just be a fun project tank more than anything and maybe a talking point for my office. Figured they grow fast and would cover things quickly. I also thought about possible cutting up some mushrooms and letting them grow across the substrate.
If you have all the bits; go for it then! :p It's a nice little side project and if it's not a huge investment then there's very little risk!

Enjoy the process with no pressure! Oh- and share some pictures! :cool:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used seachem matrix media as a base in the fuge section of my sump, and dropped in some xenia. I trade them to lfs for $10 each in store credit, I also have a ton of gsp that constantly trade as well.

Most LFS love xenia and gsp frags as trade ins. Xenia usually does not ship well, and isn't available from wholesalers on a regular basis. And gsp is super popular with beginners

How much can you make from gsp and xenia? Well, I saved up all the store credit and got an Apex Jr with EB832. Plus other items fish/coral ect.

Here's the key to it all. Sell them well grown oversized frags for $10, and they'll come back for more. No little micro frags with one stalk of xenia like everyone wants to sell. I'm talking two pieces of seachem media covered with stalks glued to frag plugs.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be fun for those types of corals. Obviously agree with points above, no REAL money in it. But you can make a ton of reefer friends offering up free frags to those starting out etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back