Have you ever thought of a super micro tank

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an Amazon Vine reviewer and I get offered a lot of things for fish tanks. In fact, I have about 10 pages of my past orders that are just stuff for my tanks including 3 reef lights that I'm currently using 2 of, powerheads, wavemakers etc. So, I got a one gallon glass tank that I was just going to grow freshwater plants in and maybe a few shrimp but when I went to my LFS we came up with the idea to make a tiny saltwater tank for a few coral. That turned out to be ridiculous and it failed miserably. I actually feel horrible about it now because I killed a beautiful coral due to being ignorant of how saltwater tanks work (I'll come back and edit this from my cell phone so I can add a photo). Anyway, that started my saltwater obsession. I was cruising Amazon looking for stuff to build a sump because I NEED to go bigger and this little gem popped up - a 40 OUNCE saltwater tank with a sump. Would you do it? I mean you could put a couple small corals in and keep it in your bathroom or nightstand or take it to work. Would ya? Just curious.

Mini Micro Tiny Nano.jpg

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can. Key is to make sure you have little evaporation with solid lids but also good oxygen exchange. Other is to watch for salt creep. Quite a few people have these specific tanks. Seems to be nice and made well. Its a bit over the top. All you need is a cylinder container with solid lid and hole for airpump and one for air to go out. This provides flow and the oxygen. Then a light such as par 38 or any that will provide what the light needs. Weekly 100 percent water changes and your good.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an Amazon Vine reviewer and I get offered a lot of things for fish tanks. In fact, I have about 10 pages of my past orders that are just stuff for my tanks including 3 reef lights that I'm currently using 2 of, powerheads, wavemakers etc. So, I got a one gallon glass tank that I was just going to grow freshwater plants in and maybe a few shrimp but when I went to my LFS we came up with the idea to make a tiny saltwater tank for a few coral. That turned out to be ridiculous and it failed miserably. I actually feel horrible about it now because I killed a beautiful coral due to being ignorant of how saltwater tanks work (I'll come back and edit this from my cell phone so I can add a photo). Anyway, that started my saltwater obsession. I was cruising Amazon looking for stuff to build a sump because I NEED to go bigger and this little gem popped up - a 40 OUNCE saltwater tank with a sump. Would you do it? I mean you could put a couple small corals in and keep it in your bathroom or nightstand or take it to work. Would ya? Just curious.

Mini Micro Tiny Nano.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8603.jpeg
    IMG_8603.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find a total view but that is the idea. I kept the rock and used it to help start my new tank. I still have the zoanthids. That poor purple coral up front died and I wish I knew what it was so I could get another. I guess I kept the dang flatworms too. I just did Flatworm Exit on my tank last Sunday.

Anyone know what that coral is?

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, we did a unofficial contest about this size tank awhile ago, I did participate and was able to keep this tank going 11 months. The contest was for a full year. Most didn't make it past a couple months though.

This design was better than what we used, but the same dimensions, we used the Mini Complete Tank branded ones.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yeah, looking at my picture above a little closer I do have one good thing to report about that awful experience. That little purple mushroom made it into my Evo 13.5 but he was the most miserable little guy. He had turned almost a transparent flesh color and would just roll around the new tank and I'd try to settle him in and he'd throw himself off a cliff. Then about a month ago I was inspecting the backside of some rock and there it was. Still not real colorful but hanging in. As of today it is brilliantly purple with the blue but still pretty small. So that makes me happy.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, we did a unofficial contest about this size tank awhile ago, I did participate and was able to keep this tank going 11 months. The contest was for a full year. Most didn't make it past a couple months though.

This design was better than what we used, but the same dimensions, we used the Mini Complete Tank branded ones.
Oh wow! I'm going to see if I can find that thread.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back