Should I put my new tanks rock in the sump of my established tank?

SpencerT82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m looking at setting up a new 20 gallon tank. I already have an established 112 gallon tank that’s been running for 2ish years. I would love to “cycle” my rock basically just turn it from try to live rock for the new tank by putting it in the sump before putting it in the new tank but I’m just worried about pests in my established tank. In my established tank I have some aptasia not a crazy amount and I have a decent amount of astrenia starfish. From what I can visually see there are no aptasia or starfish in my sump except for some aptasia in my filter roller but it appears none of them can actually get out because I can’t find a single one in the rest of the sump. However you never know there could definitely be some hiding in the tons of bio media I have. So basically just asking what you think, whether I should put my rock in my established tanks sump or not? Should I just put it in a bucket of saltwater? And if I do do one of these how long would I need to leave it before I could put it in my new tank. Or Just skip all of that and put it straight in the new tank and put some of my bio media in the rear chamber?

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have Aptasia and Astenia Starfish I would skip the rocks in the sump, but it all comes down to your personal preference. When I start a new tank I like a clean slate to work on so I can skip problems I have already experienced and dealt with.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m looking at setting up a new 20 gallon tank. I already have an established 112 gallon tank that’s been running for 2ish years. I would love to “cycle” my rock basically just turn it from try to live rock for the new tank by putting it in the sump before putting it in the new tank but I’m just worried about pests in my established tank. In my established tank I have some aptasia not a crazy amount and I have a decent amount of astrenia starfish. From what I can visually see there are no aptasia or starfish in my sump except for some aptasia in my filter roller but it appears none of them can actually get out because I can’t find a single one in the rest of the sump. However you never know there could definitely be some hiding in the tons of bio media I have. So basically just asking what you think, whether I should put my rock in my established tanks sump or not? Should I just put it in a bucket of saltwater? And if I do do one of these how long would I need to leave it before I could put it in my new tank. Or Just skip all of that and put it straight in the new tank and put some of my bio media in the rear chamber?
I was doing the same thing. But it was in the sump from new. I ended up using it in my QT tank. Thinking about it I would just start the new tank from fresh. Easier to not wonder where the " mistake " was made. That is what I am going to do at least

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back