New tank , live rock

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up a new tank. I am still filling it up with rodi water. It is a 215g, I have live rocks (it’s a lot, about a 40g brute trash can full) that has been sitting in a garage for 2 weeks that isnt running a/c. The live rocks came from an established tank not sure for how long but it had a lot of organisms growing on it.

My question is since I am cycling the tank, can I just put the rocks in and let the process do its own thing? Or should I cure it in a brute trash can? Also I have rocks from my old tank, if I take those rocks and put it with the live (old) rocks in the tank would it ruin the bacteria on them that is already established?

Also how bad would the smell be in the house? TIA

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up a new tank. I am still filling it up with rodi water. It is a 215g, I have live rocks (it’s a lot, about a 40g brute trash can full) that has been sitting in a garage for 2 weeks that isnt running a/c. The live rocks came from an established tank not sure for how long but it had a lot of organisms growing on it.

My question is since I am cycling the tank, can I just put the rocks in and let the process do its own thing? Or should I cure it in a brute trash can? Also I have rocks from my old tank, if I take those rocks and put it with the live (old) rocks in the tank would it ruin the bacteria on them that is already established?

Also how bad would the smell be in the house? TIA
Do the rocks smell really bad?

OP
OP
X

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do the rocks smell really bad?
I’m not sure yet. Going to get them tomorrow. Let’s assume it does. Since it’s in a garage in Texas heat. Highs have mid 80s max.

If it doesn’t stink? Can I assume it’s safe to add into tank to cycle?

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure yet. Going to get them tomorrow. Let’s assume it does. Since it’s in a garage in Texas heat. Highs have mid 80s max
Maybe someone else can chime in but Ive heard that is a sign of dying bacteria on the rocks and other organisms. I cant smell (ever since I was a kid) so Ive got no idea how bad they would need to smell to ID that vs what I assume would be a normal live rock smell

OP
OP
X

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe someone else can chime in but Ive heard that is a sign of dying bacteria on the rocks and other organisms. I cant smell (ever since I was a kid) so Ive got no idea how bad they would need to smell to ID that vs what I assume would be a normal live rock smell
Yeah I understand curing it if my tank was already cycled but since my tank is just setting up and it needs to be cycled I was trying to see if it’s okay to just put it into tank to cycle

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand curing it if my tank was already cycled but since my tank is just setting up and it needs to be cycled I was trying to see if it’s okay to just put it into tank to cycle
Yeah that I dont know. @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal might know, she has done a lot of tank set ups and transfers

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that I dont know. @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal might know, she has done a lot of tank set ups and transfers
Haven't done that many, lol.
Yes, as long as there is no livestock in the tank, you may as well kill 2 birds and put the rock in the tank to cure/cycle.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe scrub rocks down to get rid of dead stuff as much as possible and then throw it in to cycle. Minimize the decay issues that way and hopefully won’t smell (as bad or at all). I moved a bunch of rocks from a nano that had been sitting for longer and scrubbed them down and put them in my up and running 90 with no issues.

OP
OP
X

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe scrub rocks down to get rid of dead stuff as much as possible and then throw it in to cycle. Minimize the decay issues that way and hopefully won’t smell (as bad or at all). I moved a bunch of rocks from a nano that had been sitting for longer and scrubbed them down and put them in my up and running 90 with no issues.
Okay will do some scrubbing and then toss them in. Should I wait until the tank is fully set up with sump plumbed or can just go ahead and toss in rocks now after rinsing and scrubbing. RODI won’t finish filling up until about another 2-3 days.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were your rocks in moving water in the garage, or stilled was curious

Also, post a clear light picture of them

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay will do some scrubbing and then toss them in. Should I wait until the tank is fully set up with sump plumbed or can just go ahead and toss in rocks now after rinsing and scrubbing. RODI won’t finish filling up until about another 2-3 days.
As long as the rock is covered after working on it and has some circulation so it doesn’t go stagnant. Also maybe keep water the proper temp .

OP
OP
X

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as the rock is covered after working on it and has some circulation so it doesn’t go stagnant. Also maybe keep water the proper temp .
Okay thanks will do that. One last question, I have more rocks sitting in another tank. If I transfer some of those rocks and put them next to the dry live rocks will it ruin the good bacteria that was my other tank? Would it be okay to add them together to help speed up the cycle or just wait until the tank is cycled then add the other rocks from my other tank.

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks will do that. One last question, I have more rocks sitting in another tank. If I transfer some of those rocks and put them next to the dry live rocks will it ruin the good bacteria that was my other tank? Would it be okay to add them together to help speed up the cycle or just wait until the tank is cycled then add the other rocks from my other tank.
No. Should be fine. Honestly the more the merrier.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to choose between open-topped and stilled, or capped off + circulated, I'd chose open topped and still every time for sure. that whole rock is pretty much hungry aerobes don't cap off the holding tank

open topped and circulated is ideal, heat isn't bad this is a decent time of year for the job

OP
OP
X

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I had to choose between open-topped and stilled, or capped off + circulated, I'd chose open topped and still every time for sure. that whole rock is pretty much hungry aerobes don't cap off the holding tank

open topped and circulated is ideal, heat isn't bad this is a decent time of year for the job
Planning to be open topped, circulated and gonna heat it to 85 degrees. Believe 85 is good according to dr Tims to help with the cycle process? Gonna add some carbon to help incase with the smell. Also gonna take out media from other tank and toss it in there too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back