Any thoughts on external heating pads?

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic (freshwater tank)

I have a 3 gallon freshwater setup on my desk and have found that the small heaters for it just aren't that reliable and have almost cooked my fish more than once (the small heaters dont have a temperature control).

There are heating mats out there that are mainly used for reptiles and what not but I wonder if that could be a viable option for heating an aquarium ( If I were to attempt it, I'd place the mat on the backside of the tank). I am currently not running a heater since my fish and shrimp are within their temperature range, but when winter hits, my basement can get quite chilly.

The idea doesn't seem far fetched to me but I haven't seen anything relating to my idea online. However, I am not certain if temperature control for the heating mat can be an issue. There are products for controlling heating mat temperatures but I am not certain if the temperature probs are waterproof.

Any thoughts on the subject of any kind are welcome.

20220723_162950.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why cant you put an Inkbird (or similar) controller on the plugs to these heaters? The temp prob goes inside the tank and controls power to the socket with the heating pads? Am I missing some thing?

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned reptiles for (mostly pythons) almost 30 years. The heating pads heat too quickly for the glass to warm up because the water is cooling it off and it creates a stress fracture from the difference in temp between the glass touching the water and the side touching the heating pad. I've had tanks crack from water dishes spilling over an undertank heating pad.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back