Any tips for dealing with BJD?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been dealing with Brown Jelly for bout 2 weeks now. So far lost a 40 head dragon soul (first torch I got and favorite coral, several years old) and now just lost my green cotton candy torch overnight and down to a total of 5 heads of indo gold with blue tips.

Fragged, dipped with coral iodine solution and have the indo gold in a QT out of my display.

My other LPS (hammers/frogspawn) are doing okay (it seems)- they are on the other side of the tank whereas the torches all were touching

Any tips?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In tank treatment with ciprofloxacin. Will save the rest of your euphyllia.

All you need to know right here:

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Do I need a prescription for Ciprofloxacin? Or where can I get that?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need a prescription for Ciprofloxacin? Or where can I get that?
I'd ask around locally. Someone usually has some leftover cipro. You can purchase it from Vet sites, I think it's called Aqua-Cipro, but expensive. I think Dr. Reef also sells it on his site, now, but I'm not sure what minimum purchase is.

I got a pill from the neighborhood mom's facebook group. Asked for a single cipro pill from anyone who had an extra to treat my aquarium for an infection killing my coral. Someone wrote back same day and had treatment in that night.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would follow one or the other protocol below. Both are very successful keepers of torches.

Proven treatment method for Euphyllia and similar.
Brown Jelly and tissue recession

Iodine alone will not stop it. It's a tiny bandaid.

1. 2 cups of tank water 1 capful of witch hazel (hydrogen peroxide is fine too). Swirl it around a bit to release the jelly. Dip for 15mins

2. 2 cups of tank water 1/2 package of furan 2. Same process.

3. 2 cups of tank water and iodine until it looks like lightly colored iced tea. Same process.

4. Rinse in tank water. Reintroduce to tank in low light.

Separate dishes for each, don't combine.

For brown jelly or extreme tissue recession, dipping back to back days may be required.

So sorry to see...

That is brown jelly, a sign that bacteria has attacked the torch.

Here is a bath you can use to try and save it.

In a separate container add these ingredients, each case is different so I would suggest this in this case...

4g tank water
Sponge filter
Powerhead

1000mg cipro
10 scoops chemiclean

Mix these 2 first to dissolve the medication.

Then add

Restore 20ml
Amino acids 10ml
Witch hazel 10ml
Lugols Iodine 5 full droppers

Turn power head off after all is mixed and then add the torch.

Before you add the torch take a small tube and suck that nasty stuff off the head of your torch before lifting it out of the water to limit the bacteria getting more into the tank.

Leave the torch for 4 to 6 hours with the sponge winter going to oxygenate the container.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd ask around locally. Someone usually has some leftover cipro. You can purchase it from Vet sites, I think it's called Aqua-Cipro, but expensive. I think Dr. Reef also sells it on his site, now, but I'm not sure what minimum purchase is.

I got a pill from the neighborhood mom's facebook group. Asked for a single cipro pill from anyone who had an extra to treat my aquarium for an infection killing my coral. Someone wrote back same day and had treatment in that night.

You can also get cipro from Chewy. No Rx needed, but it's a little pricey.

I would follow one or the other protocol below. Both are very successful keepers of torches.

So I got some Cipro from chewy coming tomorrow. What about Microbacter 7? I see on the KFC dip they don't include MB7 anymore because it is part of their "in tank treatment" plan, not their dip.

I need to treat the tank as dipping I don't think is viable as I am losing a head a day on my torches (not touching colonies on different sides of the tank) so I need to get it controlled in my tank, not just dipping infected

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some Cipro from chewy coming tomorrow. What about Microbacter 7? I see on the KFC dip they don't include MB7 anymore because it is part of their "in tank treatment" plan, not their dip.

I need to treat the tank as dipping I don't think is viable as I am losing a head a day on my torches (not touching colonies on different sides of the tank) so I need to get it controlled in my tank, not just dipping infected
Right, if the data from the thread I thinked are correct, you'll want to rid the entire tank of Arcobacter, which may be the cause of BJD. Stick to the dosage suggested for in tank treatment and follow through for the whole treatment. Good luck!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I did it, I doubled the doseage with no ill effects. Than from Tidal Gardens said he's done up to 5x the recommended dose with no issues.

I still did every other night at lights out for 3 treatments, just used 2x as much each night. No issues at all in the two tanks I dosed.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last time I did it, I doubled the doseage with no ill effects. Than from Tidal Gardens said he's done up to 5x the recommended dose with no issues.

I still did every other night at lights out for 3 treatments, just used 2x as much each night. No issues at all in the two tanks I dosed.
Did you just dose the Cipro or with other things like Microbacter7 and chemiclean?

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got it from chewy with no prescription and also dosed my tank with it after my puffer went rogue eating my torches and hammers most of them are starting to bounce back
That is where I got it too, should be here tomorrow. Did you dose anything else with it? Chemiclean or MICROBACTER 7?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Been dealing with Brown Jelly for bout 2 weeks now. So far lost a 40 head dragon soul (first torch I got and favorite coral, several years old) and now just lost my green cotton candy torch overnight and down to a total of 5 heads of indo gold with blue tips.

Fragged, dipped with coral iodine solution and have the indo gold in a QT out of my display.

My other LPS (hammers/frogspawn) are doing okay (it seems)- they are on the other side of the tank whereas the torches all were touching

Any tips?
I watched a recent video from reef dudes on YouTube on this, and he didn’t use Cipro.

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend cirpo treatments, I have been successful with it myself. I have followed the 0.025mg per liter dosage x 5 days at night. No ill effects. make sure your UV and skimmer are off

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just dose the Cipro or with other things like Microbacter7 and chemiclean?

Nope. I just smashed up the pill and mixed it in distilled water as the popular method described, then dosed it at night after lights out (no skimmer or UV) on Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights.

I did the math based on the standard recommended dose, then doubled it.

Also... Keep the cipro mix in the fridge until you're done with it.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m surprised anyone has LPS that doesn’t know of this. Absolutely reef saver.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro.

Can be a little finnicky to source, and more expensive than it should be unless you have a connection that'll write you a scrip for it.

But Cipro is super safe - and hard to overdose. Follow the above threads, disable carbon and UV, and go ham.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been hearing and reading a bunch about Oxolinic Acid lately, as a direct replacement for several OTC antibiotics like cipro. No expert in the use of antibiotics, but if I were to treat my tank, I might consider it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back