Any tips for lowering calcium in your aquarium rapidly?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really is no way that is suitable aside from water changes with a normal to low low calcium mix (like regular Instant Ocean), or just supplementing alkalinity and letting calcium slowly decline on its own.

How high is it?

I wouldn't worry about it unless calcium is above about 550 ppm. :)

OP
OP
M

miamireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
between 550-580. Do you think that taking out a few gallons of saltwater and replacing it with freshwater would help bring it down faster?

OP
OP
M

miamireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i know that, i keep my salinity pretty high at like a 1.026-27. It would probably drop it to like a 1.023-1.024 which is still good. Then i could just slowly bring it up again couldn't i? What do i have to worry about happening if my calc is over 550ppm?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, dropping the salinity to lower calcium would not be beneficial.

The primary concern with high calcium is, as far as I know, excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate. It is not a risk to organisms.

danangelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, dropping the salinity to lower calcium would not be beneficial.

The primary concern with high calcium is, as far as I know, excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate. It is not a risk to organisms.
+ 1
Or also a bad tester I would recheck with another tester before doing anything drastic.

Codemonkey812

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same issue, with my CA around 650-680. I just starting using Instant Ocean, instead of Reef Crystals. It took about a year to get into the normal range. But like others are saying there is no issue with high CA, other then it is bad on pumps and heaters.

ferchb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to takeover a thread but just tried an API test and a Nutrafin Hagen test a friend gave me. I assume the hagen kit is a few years old so just trying to see how close the two are. All params came to the same reading on both tests. According to both my calcium is at 1000. Since that's over double ideal any symptoms affecting fish or coral?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you overdose a large amount of calcium?

If not, are you sure you are reading the kits in the right way? Some people read the kits backwards, measuring the amount of calcium remaining the syringe rather than the amount added.

Also, a few kits read in ppm calcium carbonate equivalents (not sure on yours). 1000 ppm calcium carbonate equivalents equals about 400 ppm calcium ion. :)

OP
OP
M

miamireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i believe i dosed too much. And i dont think its the test kits. I have the api reef master test kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think testing error is a strong possibility if water changes have not been effective. Try the kit on some new salt water.

Just to be clear, the amount of overdose needed is huge. In a 100 gallon tank, you'd have to have added more than a pound of the most potent dry calcium additive, or two liters of the strongest liquid additives.

Assuming it really is 1000 ppm calcium, reducing it by water change using regular Instant Ocean salt mix would be the best plan. A 50% change would drop it to about 700 ppm. A second one to 550 ppm, which is fine. :)

An alternative is to just wait it out, dosing only alkalinity and let it drop on its own (but it may take a few months, depending on the demand in the tank for calcium and alkalinity).

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have overdosed my 88 liter system with 1 liter mix of calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. Did a 10 liter wank change and monitoring alk. Could do with some advice please asap.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have overdosed my 88 liter system with 1 liter mix of calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. Did a 10 liter wank change and monitoring alk. Could do with some advice please asap.

If calcium is super high from overdosing, water changes are the only solution.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same issue, with my CA around 650-680. I just starting using Instant Ocean, instead of Reef Crystals. It took about a year to get into the normal range. But like others are saying there is no issue with high CA, other then it is bad on pumps and heaters.
I have the same issue when I’m using reef crystals think I’m gonna switch to regular instant ocean did it help? My ca is 570-580. I tested with API two different test kits too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue when I’m using reef crystals think I’m gonna switch to regular instant ocean did it help? My ca is 570-580. I tested with API two different test kits too.

Those are not normal values for Reef Crystals. Either the salinity is high, or something else likely raised it.

dixonamber06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mi e is 1500 tried three different test kits and all day the same rODI water at 0 tds no calcium added what so ever but I did use reef crystals is that my problem?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mi e is 1500 tried three different test kits and all day the same rODI water at 0 tds no calcium added what so ever but I did use reef crystals is that my problem?

Unless you overdosed massively, 1500 ppm calcium is almost certainly test error somehow. No salt mix has over 600 ppm calcium.

Which kits exactly?

Did you try the kit on some new salt water?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you overdosed massively, 1500 ppm calcium is almost certainly test error somehow. No salt mix has over 600 ppm calcium.

Which kits exactly?

Did you try the kit on some new salt water?
I use instant ocean regular. I never ever dosed magnesium in my new tank but my Red Sea Magnesium is saying magnesium is over the detection limit (1600+ppm)

Is this normal for instant Ocean, or do you think it’s testing error? What magesium (and calcium) test kit did you use in your tank back in the day?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back