Any tips or advice here??

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I bought a second hand tank sump and equipment as I'm on a budget but have been doing tons of research and just love this hobby. I am now planning on how I am going to set it up. Does anyone have any tips, advice or constructive criticism.Any feed back would be much appreciated as I'm a noobie !!!

Also should i replace my black hoses that come from my main display to tank for something more manageable or robust ?

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-12 at 18.04.35 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-01-12 at 18.04.35 (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-01-12 at 18.04.35.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-01-11 at 23.33.55.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those black hoses are okay for drains, but I would replace the return hose with clear pvc vinyl tubing. No metal clamps! They will rust.

Thank you, Will do !!! clamps will go maybe cable tie is better with clear pvc vinyl tubing?

And how is the layout anything you see there that I can improve?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, what is the chamber on the far right? ATO reservoir? How big is your tank?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. My main tank is 50cmx45cmx45cm and my sump 40cmx38cmx35cm
I was just thinking that at some point you may want to upgrade the nano skimmer, but in that size tank it may be fine. Looks pretty good to me. And @Flippers4pups nailed it. Good job.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank plumbing is pretty low pressure unless your sump is in the basement. So everything is probably fine. But flexible tubing is pretty cheap and easy to swap out. So if it makes you feel better or looks better, why not? The black tubing has virtually no pressure so it should be fine. You could check the connections and the tubing to see that it is clear, but replacing it might be easier.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also should i put foam in the bubble trap?
If you're changing your filter sock every few days I wouldn't think you will need it for nutrient control, but a very course filter pad may help keep micro bubbles out of the return pump. Just make sure it doesn't get clogged or it will allow the water in your overflow chamber to rise and go over the top.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

just wanted to say #WelcimetoR2R . Saw your other threads. Maybe stop by meet and greet to officially say hi.

all good advice. Change out your return line, I don’t think the black hose is pressure rated. For Drain it is ok. I would secure the drain hose some how to the sump into the sock. one in a million it gets knocked out of the sock, but safety back ups are great. plastic hose clamps that are best In place of metal or zip ties, they ensure the round shape of the hose is maintained

keep us updated. Looks good so far

OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

just wanted to say #WelcimetoR2R . Saw your other threads. Maybe stop by meet and greet to officially say hi.

all good advice. Change out your return line, I don’t think the black hose is pressure rated. For Drain it is ok. I would secure the drain hose some how to the sump into the sock. one in a million it gets knocked out of the sock, but safety back ups are great. plastic hose clamps that are best In place of metal or zip ties, they ensure the round shape of the hose is maintained

keep us updated. Looks good so far

Hey Mastiffsrule !!!

Thank you for your warm welcome.This site has been fantastic with so many active and helpful people, giving really good advice on any stage of the fishkeeping hobby.

I will surely make the modifications on my sump and will be asking alot more on other noobie threads.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back