Setting up macro tank questions.

ThatFishEnjoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm in the process of setting up what will be a 55 gallon macroalgae tank, and was wondering if there is any specific salt that I should use that will give me the best chance, or if it doesn't even matter. Salt like Natural salt water, red sea coral pro, instant ocean, etc.

And any tips or advice for macros in general would be appreciated.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm in the process of setting up what will be a 55 gallon macroalgae tank, and was wondering if there is any specific salt that I should use that will give me the best chance, or if it doesn't even matter. Salt like Natural salt water, red sea coral pro, instant ocean, etc.

Water from the ocean can work but most would probably opt for artificial seawater as a way to ensure pollution-free water.

Growing macro algae shouldn’t be difficult given that it is a pest in most saltwater aquaria. You will know that your care is not quite right when cyanobacteria grows on the algae surfaces.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56 gallon display tank with a lot of macroalgae. I use regular instant ocean for salt. I do add iron occasionally if it looks like the macroalgae is not as lush or growing as fast as I think it should. Also i run my nitrates at 30 or more and my phosphates are .5ppm, which is pretty high for most reef tanks. My soft coral and even some LPS are ok with it however.
IMG_20231204_144218337.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First question have you kept saltwater before?
Any salt will be fine, I use reef crystals for my reef tanks. Regular instant ocean will work well also. Both are readily available. Macros need everything a coral needs to thrive more food typically and some increased micros like iron, potassium but typically they do fine if you have fish and feed the fish. I have in the past had display macro refugiums and currently have a section of my sump as a refugium ( trying to keep it display also). Typically with standard reef levels these display fuges do fine a tank of only macros may need some "tweaking" depending on bioload. Best to find people keeping macro only tanks and see what they dose to keep everything happy and what the bioload is. Obviously some fish and inverts will not work as they will eat or just destroy the macros, angles, tangs, some blennies, crabs, and some snails.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously some fish and inverts will not work as they will eat or just destroy the macros, angles, tangs, some blennies, crabs, and some snails.
In your experience do you find that really any one of those listed animals can devastate a refuge of macro on its own? I'd love to keep both macro AND those sorts of animals and I was hoping that with good feeding there would be a balance to strike between letting them eat some macro but not all of it.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience do you find that really any one of those listed animals can devastate a refuge of macro on its own? I'd love to keep both macro AND those sorts of animals and I was hoping that with good feeding there would be a balance to strike between letting them eat some macro but not all of it.
Depends on the animal. Most angels and tangs yes, some crabs for sure, not usually snails but some macros are more at risk then others too. Most macros that have a calcareous body will be safe from being eaten but could still be broken.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would expect minimal consumption of macro by a tailspot blenny. I have only had them eat film algae on glass. Mine always prefer meaty foods.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back