Any tips to Reducing Alagae on the glass?

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my current tank i find my selff giving the glass a quick clean every few days. My future project will be a paniincila that will repalce the the banister at the top of the stiars.. im realizing it will be a PITA to try and clean the glasss on the stair side.

Is there any tips/tricks/stratagies to reduce alage on the glass? Less light, but then corals wont be quite as happy.. now i could go wider and have more dipper dead space but then I worry about adding to much weight on a second floor for of the house (Tank will be 5.5-6' long x 18-20 x 18-20) Lighting will be 3x XR15 Pros.

Is there any other preventive or things i can do to help prevent algae on the glass?

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read up on vodka/vinegar dosing a bit. .. But still need to dive into it more to fully understand the pros /cons

Is there any downside to dosing it?

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read up on vodka/vinegar dosing a bit. .. But still need to dive into it more to fully understand the pros /cons

Is there any downside to dosing it?
Yes cyano, don't start carbon dosing just because you have some algae on the glass ( this is normal ). What are you phosphates at?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cleaning the glass every few days is not bad at all, if your tank doesn't require cleaning to the glass at all then all your corals might bleach and die due to no nutrients in tank.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cleaning the glass every few days is not bad at all, if your tank doesn't require cleaning to the glass at all then all your corals might bleach and die due to no nutrients in tank.
Agreed!
There is a fine balance to maintain.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check phosphates tonight.

I don't mind cleaning the glass I can reach haaha. It's the stuff I can't reach that il worried about?

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha it's more where I want to put it

5f2af4980c3f209abad598e25437033f.jpg

Do those Robo snails work well? Is there any risk of them getting to close to sand and scratching the glass?

This is the side I'm worried about!
d3e86adfc01c4dfb5d7ac35b828e065f.jpg

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar dosing doesn't give you cyano problems, is my understanding. I started about a month the ago... Besides it being an additional task to take care of, I'm aware of no downside.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also think about your lights and whether they are throwing a lot of light to the sides onto the glass. E.g. if you are using something like a Radion, you can swap out the 120 degree lenses for the 80 degree lenses, and that will direct more of the light straight down instead of to the sides. Or with strip lights, you can tilt them toward the center of the tank instead of pointing straight down.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ace never really looked at alage scrubbers. Interesting concept. Are they a lot of maintenance?

I'm thinking you are right on the narrow lens. Less light = less algae!

I will be using 3x radion xr15 pros

I suppose making the tank a tad wider - maybe 20" would let less light but the glass as well

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having less light is the only really hope for it

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only works up to 1/2". May not work if I go with 5/8. :(

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can glue a mag float to a telescopic pole used for a paint roller and clean it that way.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back