Any UK reefers?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most uk members chat in the main section. Not much uk specific chat goes on here. Shame really.
I guess most of the time we don’t know if somebody is from the UK.
I try to figure out sometimes if anything happens in the UK in terms of events or new clubs but no luck so fare. Kraken corals had some coral swap but they are too fare for me but that is about it :(

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not long updated my post o R2R on thevorigress of my Magnifica nem
Rally nice one too. Thank you for sharing
Jimmy Fallon Thank You GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think here in the U.K. it is a bit old fashioned and possibly the scene is a bit more reserved were we don't take the bull by the horns and push for more from the trades and swap wise. Change is not always welcomed and maybe we as a whole and the U.K. Industry just don't want to try something new or different? Personally I've always liked the idea of frag swaps and exhibitions but we seem to be very limited with anything here

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think here in the U.K. it is a bit old fashioned and possibly the scene is a bit more reserved were we don't take the bull by the horns and push for more from the trades and swap wise. Change is not always welcomed and maybe we as a whole and the U.K. Industry just don't want to try something new or different? Personally I've always liked the idea of frag swaps and exhibitions but we seem to be very limited with anything here
I have been trying different things ever since I joined this hobby 40 years ago. I learned almost as more by my experiments etc than the so called experts of the day told us. These include but not limited to. Algae filtration DIY sumps lighting filtration DIY skimmers DIY foods calcium supplements and so on.

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying different things ever since I joined this hobby 40 years ago. I learned almost as more by my experiments etc than the so called experts of the day told us. These include but not limited to. Algae filtration DIY sumps lighting filtration DIY skimmers DIY foods calcium supplements and so on.
I don't mean trying new tech or ideas I mean taking on some of the customs from our fellow reefers across the pond. The whole local swap meets and large scale reef conventions etc, we only seem to have that trade show in Telford and the rarity of frag swaps is clear here. I feel the uk industry(retailers or suppliers or builders) could do more to offer these sort of things

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean trying new tech or ideas I mean taking on some of the customs from our fellow reefers across the pond. The whole local swap meets and large scale reef conventions etc, we only seem to have that trade show in Telford and the rarity of frag swaps is clear here. I feel the uk industry(retailers or suppliers or builders) could do more to offer these sort of things
They used to be. There were a couple of large ish events each year run by WYMG and supported by shops and manufacturers most notably underworld. There have been largish events at London Zoo over 2 days Leicester and Liverpool universities. Whipsnade and Chester zoo. Bradford, Birmingham and Morley.
Thing is the UK market is so small and few will travel very far. Shops often have special days where they have discounts and put on food but not so many as they often don't get the support to warrant it.
I blame the interweb for the appath with such events.

traggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They used to be. There were a couple of large ish events each year run by WYMG and supported by shops and manufacturers most notably underworld. There have been largish events at London Zoo over 2 days Leicester and Liverpool universities. Whipsnade and Chester zoo. Bradford, Birmingham and Morley.
Thing is the UK market is so small and few will travel very far. Shops often have special days where they have discounts and put on food but not so many as they often don't get the support to warrant it.
I blame the interweb for the appath with such events.
Ok I was not looking for these things before but certainly there is nothing really going on right now. That list of cities would give me 2-3 events a year to pick from.

it is funny people here don’t travel fare. When I visited US I have seen billboard says pop in only 200miles ahead :)
Hi We are inEast Midlands too
Leicester here :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was not looking for these things before but certainly there is nothing really going on right now. That list of cities would give me 2-3 events a year to pick from.

it is funny people here don’t travel fare. When I visited US I have seen billboard says pop in only 200miles ahead :)

Leicester here :)
Like I said ic itvwas worth LFSs time and without fear of losing ££££s. They also take quite a bit of organisation often LFS don't have the time never mind the inclination same goes for manufactures. It's a shame but also risky for organisers. Local meetings in a pub or other are sometimes arranged. I think the Liverpool reef club do this, all very informal with no speakers.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get the UK banner here if you haven’t got it :
Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’ :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody on here going to the Finest Aquatics weekend inbthe 9&10 April? Am going on the Saturday the 9th.
Screenshot_20220325-174344_Outlook.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a good weekend event. I went on the Saturday and it was very well attended so well we were queueing outside for 20 mins to get in as it was so full. Bought 2 drags and a nice copperband. Didn't win anything in the raffles however.
20220416_202653.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back