Any yellow striped cardinalfish keepers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rowenaad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rowenaad

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Messages
355
Reaction score
196
Location
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do your cardinalfish behave during the day? I read they are nocturnal feeders and would hide in the day.

Reason im asking is im looking for a small and peaceful nano fish that can occupy the top 2/3 water column and research comes down to this species. The tank is 20g with one firefish, one flagtail goby with shrimp, a court jester goby and a tailspot blenny. My flagtail goby and firefish hangout in their burrow almost all day and come out only for a hour or two each day. The court jester goby mainly stay at the sandbed shifting thru the sand. The blenny is such a social fish and would stalk and stay very close to other fish and because other fish are hiding, it follows the court jester goby all day….so my tank really feel empty for the top 2/3…..

But…..if the yellow striped cardinalfish also hide during the day…….it’ll be so sad……..

Would love to hear some first hand experience

This is my tank despite having 4 fish, i can see none 🫠


20260828_235235_B349E14D-4783-4BA8-BCFB-D09079D8A8A8.png
 
I have a pair of blue striped cardinals, I just added them last month. I suppose they might possibly be similar to yellow stripe? Mine just hover together around the tank all day, always out in the open, very peaceful, just moving around slowly looking at everything. I read they were nocturnal as well, but they are always out. They are very good eaters, they've eaten everything I've fed so far. I'm very happy with them. Good luck with yours
 
I have a pair of blue striped cardinals, I just added them last month. I suppose they might possibly be similar to yellow stripe? Mine just hover together around the tank all day, always out in the open, very peaceful, just moving around slowly looking at everything. I read they were nocturnal as well, but they are always out. They are very good eaters, they've eaten everything I've fed so far. I'm very happy with them. Good luck with yours
Thank you! Thats some great news
 
I got the fish. I started with two and was hoping they can pair. They stayed together for the first few hours and parted. Then the next day one of them is chasing the other one around so sadly I brought it back to store before any real harm is caused. I also only realised after getting them that the aggressive one doesn’t have a dorsal fin and has nipped marks in its tail….. they are truly aggressive towards their own kind, but vert chill with any other fish (so far).

They are so pretty!!! The stripes on the head are almost metallic blue/silver and the full body & fins has an almost rainbow shimmer. They absolutely need more love. The one im keeping is a shy little one, but already taking frozen and pellets. It seems to be more active when the light is deemed/out but it stays at one corner mid water level most of the time during the day and under an arch when sleep (?) I think, but its only its day3, will see how it changes as it gets more comfortable


IMG_8828.jpeg


IMG_8815.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new