Anybody ever use Polyp Lab One?

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody ever used Polyp Lab One for dosing? Seems too good to be true. One bottle doses Calcium, Mag and Alk. Claims to maintain 7 dkh, 400 calc and 1300 mag without raising salinity.

75E111B4-1B65-47DA-8AC3-33E54E08E279.png

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i dont know this specific product but the claimed results can only be obtained using an organic calcium salt (acetate, formiate or gluconate/lactate). So the product is likely to consume oxygen, lower pH and fuel bacterial groth. I would only use such a product in highly aerated (skimmed) tanks during the daytime.

Best regards from Vienna,
Christoph

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is largely calcium and magnesium acetate. Other companies have similar products (Salifert All In One, Tropic Marin Carbocalcium).

This sort of product will work, but it is adding a fixed amount of organic carbon, whether you want/need it or not. So if demand for alk and calcium is on the medium to high end, the "dose" of organic carbon is pretty high.

OP
OP
SaltLifer

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is largely calcium and magnesium acetate. Other companies have similar products (Salifert All In One, Tropic Marin Carbocalcium).

This sort of product will work, but it is adding a fixed amount of organic carbon, whether you want/need it or not. So if demand for alk and calcium is on the medium to high end, the "dose" of organic carbon is pretty high.
As in "carbon dosing"? I don't check my parameters as often as I should and I'm having some GHA issues right now. My demand for alk and calcium isn't huge yet. So theoretically, could this reduce nutrients at the same time or am I way off base?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in "carbon dosing"? I don't check my parameters as often as I should and I'm having some GHA issues right now. My demand for alk and calcium isn't huge yet. So theoretically, could this reduce nutrients at the same time or am I way off base?

Yes, carbon dosing.

Yes, it will likely reduce nutrients, perhaps beneficially, or perhaps more than optimally to undesirably low levels. That's why I'm not usually a fan of tying two such unrelated effects into one fixed ratio.

FWIW, the Tropic Marin product will have substantially less carbon dosing effect since it uses less organic material.

teckademics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, anyone been using this product long term now? Year+?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back