Anybody have a fish die from a freshwater dip?

flfireman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a redtail tamarin wrasse today and did a freshwater dip since I've read most wrasses come in loaded with flukes. I dio the dip as I normally do and cut it to 3 minutes. I then placed the wrasse iban observation QT which was unmediated. The wrasse looked healthy enough at the LFS. Any species that are more sensitive to freshwater dips??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you aerate the water both before & during the FW dip? Temperature control the water? And use RODI?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anampses wrasses can a little more sensitive than other wrasses, much like leopards. Even so, if the dip was done like humble mentioned above and the fish was healthy- it shouldn't have died. There was likely something else at play.

When doing a fw dip on more sensitive wrasses, ph becomes a little more important. Splashing a bit of tank water in at the last moment should help bring it up a bit.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done hundreds of freshwater dips and the only fish I've ever lost was already past saving. Those had severe issues and the freshwater dip was a last ditch effort for them. As long as you follow the protocol exactly, only go for 5 minutes max, then you should generally be fine. PH does come into play with the more sensitive species, though I rarely mess with that myself.

OP
OP
flfireman1

flfireman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I suppose that I could have done is aerate the water while the fish was dipped. I aerated it only while getting the temps to match.

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done hundreds of freshwater dips and the only fish I've ever lost was already past saving. Those had severe issues and the freshwater dip was a last ditch effort for them. As long as you follow the protocol exactly, only go for 5 minutes max, then you should generally be fine. PH does come into play with the more sensitive species, though I rarely mess with that myself.

That makes me feel better. I just did a freshwater dip last night on my little Orchid Pseudo and he died about within about 30 seconds of putting him into the fresh water dip. I was worried that I killed him by causing him undue stress but he was already doing pretty bad so I'm guessing there was slim chance of him recovering on his own anyway.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you could do a freshwater dip using water taken from a healthy freshwater tank. Already conditioned and aerated so possibly easier on the fish. Just theorizing here is all.

I dont think the 10 minutes the fish spends in the tank cycled water would make a difference. A living system is also close to impossible to get a match on ph to an also living marine system. As biological processes occur they all have effects on this. My 7 year old planted aquarium is quite far from my initial parameters even with 50 % wc a week.

I think matching ph and temperature after water is aerated to make sure co2 is not a factor should suffice. Use a calibrated meter not a test kit though. Test kit is fine for spot checking a tank, not so much for verifying a match between 2 different samples.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the 10 minutes the fish spends in the tank cycled water would make a difference. A living system is also close to impossible to get a match on ph to an also living marine system. As biological processes occur they all have effects on this. My 7 year old planted aquarium is quite far from my initial parameters even with 50 % wc a week.

I think matching ph and temperature after water is aerated to make sure co2 is not a factor should suffice. Use a calibrated meter not a test kit though. Test kit is fine for spot checking a tank, not so much for verifying a match between 2 different samples.
Agree 100%. PH and temp are what I’d watch. I use a couple drops of AragaMilk (for PH) for my FW dips.

shashintha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a fw dip then 50 freshwater 50 Salt water. One the day i dont fish goes on their side on the qt tank. I heard going back to salt water is more difficult for the fish. I did this for a wrasse and though it died in fw (4 mins later) but she was ok after 50/50 then QT(With copper 2.5) - Just a thought (-im very new to this so i might be totally wrong)

shashintha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a fw dip then 50 freshwater 50 Salt water. I heard going back to salt(35 PPT) water is more difficult for the fish. I did this for a wrasse and though it died in fw (4 mins later) but she was ok after 50/50 then QT(With copper 2.5) - Just a thought :) (Matching temp, Airation included)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back