YWG red spot on back, then died, resurrected, stabilised after a freshwater dip.

Emildra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, fresh aquarist here. This is my first saltwater fish in my first tank. It is a YWG named Beluba. I have had her for five and a half weeks now. Three weeks was in quarantine, a basic unmedicated 2 gallon tank because of constraints. It seemingly looked and behaved fine and had appetite, so it went to the main tank.

This morning, it had appetite, and chased fish flakes in the water column. I noticed a small red spot on its back. This evening, at 8.30pm (GMT+8), I noticed it being tossed about lifelessly in the water column. I fished it out into a cup of aquarium water, 100% convinced it was dead. Eventually it started to move again, slowly wriggling and then spinning in place. It became violent and dislodged a pink mass. Wondering if it was one of its organs.

20240220_204259.jpg

I gave it a freshwater dip which seemed to stabilise it. I could not see anything dislodging with the naked eye when I basted it. I transferred it back to a cup of saltwater where it seemed fine, clinging to the bottom and responding when nudged. After a couple of hours, it re-entered death throes, became limp, and then resurrected a second time. I am trying a second freshwater dip but I don't think it is helping much now. It is currently lying upside-down with its gills spread. I can get a wriggle if I squirt water at it.

20240220_225427.jpg

20240220_224806.jpg

Tank: FOWLR
Temperature: 24C, fluctuates to 26/28 when I go out and turn the AC off. Return to find goby blanched, yellowness resumes after cooling back to 24. Need to sort out temp control, but chillers are very expensive.
pH: 7.8 (API)
Salinity: 1.026-1.027SG
Ammonia: ~0ppm (API)
Nitrate: ~15ppm (was at 50 before water changes in an attempt to grow diatoms to feed CUC)
Tankmates: One pistol shrimp, Alpheus bisincisus, no clear symptoms or abnormalities. Not paired, goby was very scared of it, and the goby was denied the burrow and thus had no great hiding spots.

It is late at night and I don't have medication on hand. Wish I had clove oil. I don't know how I'm going to tell that she's dead. Please help with the pre-mortem. Beluba thanks you very much in advance before she goes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, fresh aquarist here. This is my first saltwater fish in my first tank. It is a YWG named Beluba. I have had her for five and a half weeks now. Three weeks was in quarantine, a basic unmedicated 2 gallon tank because of constraints. It seemingly looked and behaved fine and had appetite, so it went to the main tank.

This morning, it had appetite, and chased fish flakes in the water column. I noticed a small red spot on its back. This evening, at 8.30pm (GMT+8), I noticed it being tossed about lifelessly in the water column. I fished it out into a cup of aquarium water, 100% convinced it was dead. Eventually it started to move again, slowly wriggling and then spinning in place. It became violent and dislodged a pink mass. Wondering if it was one of its organs.

20240220_204259.jpg

I gave it a freshwater dip which seemed to stabilise it. I could not see anything dislodging with the naked eye when I basted it. I transferred it back to a cup of saltwater where it seemed fine, clinging to the bottom and responding when nudged. After a couple of hours, it re-entered death throes, became limp, and then resurrected a second time. I am trying a second freshwater dip but I don't think it is helping much now. It is currently lying upside-down with its gills spread. I can get a wriggle if I squirt water at it.

20240220_225427.jpg

20240220_224806.jpg

Tank: FOWLR
Temperature: 24C, fluctuates to 26/28 when I go out and turn the AC off. Return to find goby blanched, yellowness resumes after cooling back to 24. Need to sort out temp control, but chillers are very expensive.
pH: 7.8 (API)
Salinity: 1.026-1.027SG
Ammonia: ~0ppm (API)
Nitrate: ~15ppm (was at 50 before water changes in an attempt to grow diatoms to feed CUC)
Tankmates: One pistol shrimp, Alpheus bisincisus, no clear symptoms or abnormalities. Not paired, goby was very scared of it, and the goby was denied the burrow and thus had no great hiding spots.

It is late at night and I don't have medication on hand. Wish I had clove oil. I don't know how I'm going to tell that she's dead. Please help with the pre-mortem. Beluba thanks you very much in advance before she goes.
This is a fish I typically would not give a freshwater dip Especially if its breathing hard. Gills are inflammed (red) and likely injury, flukes or imflammation. It appears from your description that this guy os becomming moribund and may or may not recover, eat normal, etc.
You can try seachem neoplex or ruby rally pro with added aeration But hope for the best and expect the worse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back