Anybody keep pH artificially high?

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a couple interesting videos about keeping pH artificially high. Like 8.4 to 8.5. One claimed it could increase coral growth by 50%. The theory was that since low pH in the wild has been inhibiting coral growth that keeping it artaficially high may be the cheapest and easiest way to increase coral growth over time. You just need to dose enough kalk to get it there and maintain. Was wondering if anybody here is doing this? Most I know have had trouble keeping pH elevated. Especially overnight.

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine around 8.3 and my corals are growing like crazy. I think it depends on what kind of corals and what lights you have also.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 8.49 right now, naturally. I dont see any explosive growth.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a couple interesting videos about keeping pH artificially high. Like 8.4 to 8.5. One claimed it could increase coral growth by 50%. The theory was that since low pH in the wild has been inhibiting coral growth that keeping it artaficially high may be the cheapest and easiest way to increase coral growth over time. You just need to dose enough kalk to get it there and maintain. Was wondering if anybody here is doing this? Most I know have had trouble keeping pH elevated. Especially overnight.

My pH always ran high due to using limewater/kalkwasser. It ran 8.35 to 8.55 for years until I got new storm windows, then it dropped a bit.

Lizdoesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently re visited the high pH theory. My pH was at an average 7.8 a while back and tried a co2 scrubber that worked but the media went way too fast. Recently I setup a recirculating co2 scrubber and have seen my pH go up to 8.4 immediately. My skimmer crapped out on me two days ago and have realized my pH has gone as high as 8.65. I know that skimming draws more co2 saturated air into the tank which decreases pH. So it makes sense why my pH is even higher now with it off. This high pH has been steady for the last two days and I'm sure will go back to 8.4 when I get my skimmer back running again. I haven't noticed anything in terms of growth obviously on such a short time but I will keep an eye out. But just food for thought, if your system isn't high nutrient, perhaps turn off the skimmer half the day, preferably during the light hours when pH is naturally high due to photosynthesis.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently re visited the high pH theory. My pH was at an average 7.8 a while back and tried a co2 scrubber that worked but the media went way too fast. Recently I setup a recirculating co2 scrubber and have seen my pH go up to 8.4 immediately. My skimmer crapped out on me two days ago and have realized my pH has gone as high as 8.65. I know that skimming draws more co2 saturated air into the tank which decreases pH. So it makes sense why my pH is even higher now with it off. This high pH has been steady for the last two days and I'm sure will go back to 8.4 when I get my skimmer back running again. I haven't noticed anything in terms of growth obviously on such a short time but I will keep an eye out. But just food for thought, if your system isn't high nutrient, perhaps turn off the skimmer half the day, preferably during the light hours when pH is naturally high due to photosynthesis.

What is the daily low?

Turing off a skimmer will also often lower the daily low pH, and for folks with low pH to begin with, that effect may be more important.

I'd also be aware that you are allowing O2 to drop lower at night, which may not be optimal.

Lizdoesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The daily low hasn't been much different. 8.1-8.2 . I notice the oh goes slightly higher at peak to 8.6 and at low 8.2 since my skimmer has been out of service, past two days. I was going to pick up an air pump and an air stone to mimic the skimmer in the mean time . But I haven't noticed any difference yet in regards to pH.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back