Anybody know what this is?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Waters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2013
Messages
9,414
Reaction score
20,981
Location
Mentor, OH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten this white junk in pretty much every tank I have set up, but for whatever reason, this tank it is growing much more aggressively. I assume it is either a sponge or some type of bacteria. It pulls off super easy and feels like wet cotton. Also only seems to grow in the dark (I have only seen it in my sumps). Anyone have a positive ID? It has almost completely covered several pieces of live rock sitting in the sump. Grows right overtop the yellow sponge.

IMG_3385.JPG
 
Isn’t it amazing that the non-aesthetically pleasing organisms always seem to grow over those that are??

I’d say a sponge of some type. I get these growths in my back chambers also, always thought they were some kind of tunicates or sponge.
 
Isn’t it amazing that the non-aesthetically pleasing organisms always seem to grow over those that are??

I’d say a sponge of some type. I get these growths in my back chambers also, always thought they were some kind of tunicates or sponge.
Yeah, I figured it is probably a sponge or some type of bacteria. It is weird how easy it can be removed though....most sponges (like the yellow one on that rock for example) encrusts like an acro lol. This current tank has much higher nutrients than any of my previous tanks....I assume those are feeding it allowing it to multiply as fast as it is.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new