Anybody recycling there water ?

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is ther anyone out there recycling there water after a water change, , I had a spare 50 gallon tank, so after my last water change, i put the old water in that tank with a pump and heater and a big clump of cheato , and left it for a week. after that readings were improving , Cheato is growing, and after adding a few chemicals to it, I feel that it can be used again for my next water change.
could cut down on water and salt usage

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see a big problem with doing it, but i dont think its efficient. With running the pump and heater, and adding back trace minerals, i doubt its more cost effective than just mixing new water. A certain amount of other contaminants also get introduced to tank water from your hands, dust etc. So reusing the water isnt helping there either.

OP
OP
stevieduk

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see a big problem with doing it, but i dont think its efficient. With running the pump and heater, and adding back trace minerals, i doubt its more cost effective than just mixing new water. A certain amount of other contaminants also get introduced to tank water from your hands, dust etc. So reusing the water isnt helping there either.
possibly but I am in the U.K , and I dont know how much salt costs in America, but it is VERY expensive here, costing me £55 a month plus the price of the water through our meter, so anything that helps I am grateful for

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would skip the additional reservoir and just use the Triton (or a Triton-like) method. You could stop doing water changes all together, add a fuge to your tank (if you don't already have one) with chaeto for nutrient control, and do Triton tests every once in a while to make sure no harmful contaminants are building up.

OP
OP
stevieduk

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would skip the additional reservoir and just use the Triton (or a Triton-like) method. You could stop doing water changes all together, add a fuge to your tank (if you don't already have one) with chaeto for nutrient control, and do Triton tests every once in a while to make sure no harmful contaminants are building up.
Not in England we cant, we dont have the analysis service here

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is ther anyone out there recycling there water after a water change, , I had a spare 50 gallon tank, so after my last water change, i put the old water in that tank with a pump and heater and a big clump of cheato , and left it for a week. after that readings were improving , Cheato is growing, and after adding a few chemicals to it, I feel that it can be used again for my next water change.
could cut down on water and salt usage

IMO, that is not desirable. Things that the tank depletes from the water (say, iron, etc.) will be as depleted, or more so, and things that accumulated (e.g., organics, certain trace metals, ionic imbalances, etc.) may still be elevated.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in England we cant, we dont have the analysis service here

According to Triton, there are retailers in the UK that sell mail-in kits. Additionally, there may be retailers in the UK that will mail you a test kit:

uk.JPG

wal.JPG

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All ready rang them. they said they sell all the stuff for it but dont do the analysis

Right, no individual shop does the analysis. Triton is based in Germany. They don't test water anywhere in the world except Germany. The only way to get water tested, even for us in the US, is to buy a test kit, fill it with your water, and mail it to Germany. They test it there and post your results online.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back