Anybody try cutting coral like this before?

The hermit crabs seemed to think there might be a shell predator in the neighborhood. They went for cover when the saw was cutting coral bones.
 
I think that’s how some cut horns off livestock
 
I use this. I bought It on Amazon. It comes in different thicknesses depending on what you're doing.
Screenshot_20250222_180933_Samsung Internet.jpg
 
Very nice. In the electrical trade we use nylon string to cut PVC in tight spaces where a saw won’t fit. The only thing that would concern me is the possibility of wire particles getting into the water column if using a diamond coated metal wire for instance.
 
That's a good point. I've done it twice before an icp water test and I have not seen a rise in any of the metals. I will keep an eye on it.
 
I've done this a few times and it seems to work really well. You just have to go slow and not force it. Cut the smaller ones first then go back and cut your main branch.


Thanks. I had to laugh. In the video, the sound of the sawing sounds like you are sawing through a 4x4 vs an acro branch.

😀
 
Very nice. In the electrical trade we use nylon string to cut PVC in tight spaces where a saw won’t fit. The only thing that would concern me is the possibility of wire particles getting into the water column if using a diamond coated metal wire for instance.
Would think, if anything, the diamonds would come off first and then maybe the wire. But would also think they would be small enough not to make an impact.
 
I use this. I bought It on Amazon. It comes in different thicknesses depending on what you're doing.
Screenshot_20250222_180933_Samsung Internet.jpg
As per my thread, this is the one I ordered. So yes, will be attempting next week. 😏
 
I used to do this with euphilia before I got a band saw. I never did it in the tank though.
 
Last edited:
Okay, I did this today and it worked rather well.
I've done this a few times and it seems to work really well. You just have to go slow and not force it. Cut the smaller ones first then go back and cut your main branch.


Okay, I did this today and it worked rather well.
Thanks for the tip.
I did an easy piece right in the front of the tank and I also took a quick video. Maybe I will link to here later.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new