Anyone able to ID this thing

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rjmul
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rjmul

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2020
Messages
520
Reaction score
324
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's cool, but that's about all I know


E0174C28-FB63-46CA-8037-54210E211F90.jpeg 0FCBFA08-1D21-4719-94A4-3EC73CCAE1EF.jpeg
 
It's cool, but that's about all I know


E0174C28-FB63-46CA-8037-54210E211F90.jpeg 0FCBFA08-1D21-4719-94A4-3EC73CCAE1EF.jpeg
I can't say for certain, but it appears to be some kind of star polyps, probably brown Briareum rather than green, and there is a chance that the mat has formed over an old coral skeleton to give it the branched appearance.

This is just a guess; hopefully you can get more conclusive identification.
 
Looks like a horrida to me. They get long droopy polyps like that. Also fairly fickle and prone to die without notice.
 
I can't say for certain, but it appears to be some kind of star polyps, probably brown Briareum rather than green, and there is a chance that the mat has formed over an old coral skeleton to give it the branched appearance.

This is just a guess; hopefully you can get more conclusive identification.
Someone else suggested star polyps, I don't think so. The skeleton is VERY Acro like
 
Looks like a horrida to me. They get long droopy polyps like that. Also fairly fickle and prone to die without notice.
Horrida seems more likely. The frag photographed in the water is cut off of the coral I'm holding out of water
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new